What's new
What's new

Humming TM-1

saltfever

Plastic
Shop was quiet for a change with all equipment off. As I walked by the TM-1 there was an electrical humming sound from inside the back panel. We try to conserve energy and even turn off the lights! Any idea how many killowatts are being used in this "off" state? If the breaker is turned off any harm done other than using the circuit board backup battery?.

No harm should come from flipping the breaker, bust make absolutly sure the backup battery is good.
(They sell a "dual" battery kit, something to look into)

As far as power consumption, grab an amp clamp and toss it over your main lead. That will tell you consumption.

I've been meaning to do this with mine. I'll check Monday and post for my TL and TM machines.

Thanks for the reply Stirling. I don’t have a way to test mine so your results will be appreciated. When the Haas Tech hooked me up he didn’t know the machine was capable of single phase and proceeded as if I had 3-phase. When the machine wouldn’t work he called the office to get it straightened out. The humming has bothered me because I was not left with a lot of confidence. I was concerned because of his confusion and maybe something else is wired incorrectly resulting in the hi-freq humming.

Fluke amp clamp read 0.1amp per leg (hooked to 208 3ph) while machine was off but breaker on.

When machine was on, but inactive it read 1.1 amp per leg.

I would not worry about the power consumption.
It will cost you way more to have a tech come out and fix a downed machine

Thanks for that information Stirling. So not to worry . . . around here that would be about $00.002/day. :)

Back