What's new
What's new

Lathe Visual Quick Code question

Eric U

Hot Rolled
When I do anything in VQC, when the machine is going from roughing tool to finishing tool it goes all the way to the G28 home position. This is unacceptable in many circumstances (like when using the tail stock) and is irritating the rest of the time. Is there any way to not have this happen? There are many things that are done better and faster with VQC than IPS, except for this one issue. My lathe is a TL-1.

Thanks,
Eric U

I have TL1 with the tail stock and 4 position turret.
I didn't like the home position, and I rarely turn anything longer that 10 inches.
I relocated the piece of metal that the sensor uses for finding Z home.

I didn't actually relocate the metal, I made a new piece from angle and flat bar, that bolts to the lathe with the bolts that hold the linear rails, although I think I got to a longer bolt.

If you notice the channel, that is to direct coolant back to the tank, instead of onto the floor.

headers 158.jpg

I have the Sl Turning Centers...QuickCode on both and Visual on one..neither where ordered with these "Features" but part of the "Package".

Long Story short, I hate it..too much wasted time playing with quirks...pain to edit and it doesn't run the machine the way I want to run the machine. I spent more time tweaking then it took to manually program...so that's what I did... that is till I bought CAM software and that gets the machine to do exactly what I want.

Same thing on the Mills...loved the QuickCode. I stayed real busy quickly plugging requested values into the canned cycles, then proving and tweaking simulations. Real busy. That was until I bought a used machine without Quick-Code. Soon I realized I could write a program from scratch that ran better, faster right from the get-go then using what I now consider a Crutch...Quick Code, Visual Code.

For me, learn G-Code and a couple canned cycles and get the machine to do exactly what you want when you want.

Back