What's new
What's new

Looking for info on Haas DNC issues

Fulcircleny

Cast Iron
Hello all.

I have a 2000 Mini Mill I bought used in '02 It was never abused or beaten. I kept it when I downsized because it is just plain fun to use. I recently have had a run of jobs that require more memory than it has, I have tried a couple of work around's, (splitting files into smaller progressive files, mostly). I have some parts that I decided would pay for a Calmotion CNCUSB portable 'box',, a friend on here, much more knowledgeable about such things spoke very highly of this device, so I bought one. I have spent the better part of 2 full days trying to get it to work reliably. My friend was a big help with suggestions, and honestly Glen from Calmotion has been trying to figure this out to the credit of both the company, and himself.
The Issue:
I CAN DNC, but have been getting a recurring 'alarm'. The control runs the program and at no particular place, or for any known reason stops, and displays "Bad Number". My friend,suggested lowering te Baud rate till the thing could digest what I am throwing at it, sounded like a plan, but did not work, I got all the way down to 1200, and it still puked . I believe Glen when he says at least one of the many set of "Settings" always works, except today, that is. To be clear, I am by no means a tech guy, my opinion of computers is that they are an occupational hazard,so I am not much good when it comes to clearly understanding what they are talking about.
here is the question(S) has anyone else run into this particular "Alarm" and if so what was the fix?

The following is an excerpt from a note Glen sent me this evening, I was wondering if any of the Haas tech guys on here can tell me if there are any updates or known fixes to be had?

"Chris,

The XON/XOFF not starting the DNC is a problem that we have seen before on old Haas. It is some bug that they never send the start code. There might be Haas update that a service could do, maybe there is a problem with the Haas firmware, not only with the XON/XOFF but the Xmodem too..."

Are there any Haas tech guys monitoring this section that would be able to help?
I can be reached via email, or even my cell
315-520 4407
Please leave a message, I will return the call promptly
Thanks,
Chris

Dnc

Pretty sure the synchronization has to be set to xmodem and when you send the file, set the sending program to xmodem. I'm not sure that xon-xoff will stop/start files as the buffer gets full.
I finally got my 97 VF3 to transfer after 3 years of trying. I was telling my software to "send file" and it never gave me the option of xmodem. The command "transfer file" did.

Hello all.

I have a 2000 Mini Mill I bought used in '02 It was never abused or beaten. I kept it when I downsized because it is just plain fun to use. I recently have had a run of jobs that require more memory than it has, I have tried a couple of work around's, (splitting files into smaller progressive files, mostly). I have some parts that I decided would pay for a Calmotion CNCUSB portable 'box',, a friend on here, much more knowledgeable about such things spoke very highly of this device, so I bought one. I have spent the better part of 2 full days trying to get it to work reliably. My friend was a big help with suggestions, and honestly Glen from Calmotion has been trying to figure this out to the credit of both the company, and himself.
The Issue:
I CAN DNC, but have been getting a recurring 'alarm'. The control runs the program and at no particular place, or for any known reason stops, and displays "Bad Number". My friend,suggested lowering te Baud rate till the thing could digest what I am throwing at it, sounded like a plan, but did not work, I got all the way down to 1200, and it still puked . I believe Glen when he says at least one of the many set of "Settings" always works, except today, that is. To be clear, I am by no means a tech guy, my opinion of computers is that they are an occupational hazard,so I am not much good when it comes to clearly understanding what they are talking about.
here is the question(S) has anyone else run into this particular "Alarm" and if so what was the fix?

The following is an excerpt from a note Glen sent me this evening, I was wondering if any of the Haas tech guys on here can tell me if there are any updates or known fixes to be had?

"Chris,

The XON/XOFF not starting the DNC is a problem that we have seen before on old Haas. It is some bug that they never send the start code. There might be Haas update that a service could do, maybe there is a problem with the Haas firmware, not only with the XON/XOFF but the Xmodem too..."

Are there any Haas tech guys monitoring this section that would be able to help?
I can be reached via email, or even my cell
315-520 4407
Please leave a message, I will return the call promptly
Thanks,
Chris

Thanks Bill, Honestly I threw up my hands. I am a one man shop, and the time I spent trying to correctly get it to work I will never get back. This whole Idea was so I could increase thru put. same part 2 machines, thing. I cant afford the time to fool around at this point in time, so I am going to shelf the whole idea for now. It is just confusing in that I DID have it doing its thing, but the random "Bad number" error message was the thing. I have 79,000 lines of code to go thru, and it would fault randomly, like the first time at say n700, then at n900, then at n800, no rhyme or reason, just bad number....
Thanks for the response
Regards
Chris

It's better to get a bad number than a crash. I'd really suspect either your rs232 hardware on the haas, or your connections or length of wire. I prefer xmodem protocol personally, it's much safer.

Not too much to offer but a few thoughts. My time in the 90's w/ a LOT of Comms gear that was 232 led me to find that to really get into the root-cause, you'll need to use a tool that will record the entire exchange and allow you to review several failures. See if you can arrive at a conclusion you can repair. Did you end up going around the USB device? or that is part of the equation here? I can see if I can find any of the old freeware 232 PC based analyzers.... but you could google that too. EDIT came back to add a few. No clue on how good they are.. .but they are out there.
FREE RS232 RS485 RS422 TTL Serial Port Protocol Analyzer Monitor Terminal Software

Serialtest: RS-232/RS-422/RS-485 Serial Protocol Analyzer

"It's better to get a bad number than a crash. I'd really suspect either your rs232 hardware on the haas, or your connections or length of wire. I prefer xmodem protocol personally, it's much safer."

Totally agree, and even went as far as running a test pc only, till I felt confident, but never got that far.
I was running XMODEM on both the Calmotion ,and the Haas, but still got the same error.
Thanks for your time to respond, though
Regards,
Chris

Countryguy,

I took the cowards way out and gave up for now. Due dates are creeping up, and I can't afford to get a bad reputation for deliveries.
I am ignorant to 99% of electronics, never made time to learn. Now it's is biting me in the a$$. The idea was to save time, but running same part on two machines. After fooling around for days, even the time I MIGHT make on this run was already eaten up. Did not make $ence to throw away more time. I was hoping a tech or someone else had seen this issue and could say it was my program, or a setting, or the 'box' but I suspect that is just wishful thinking.
Thanks for the response, you time is appreciated.
Regards,
Chris

Back