What's new
What's new

machining off the table

RoboMiller

Cast Iron
so i have a part thats 25"x12"x1" need machining on all sides. thinking i can hold it off the table on y axis on a knee or something to do counter bores and holes with it standing up the tall way. anyone do anything like this? it should work fine as long as u do it right i imagine.

We made some S type brackets to do exactly that, I had to tap some holes on the end of these huge plates we made and it worked out great. I made 3 aluminum brackets and clamped the plate to a couple of big angle irons. I have a crappy cell phone picture I will upload but you can't see the brackets too well. I'll try to find another picture in the meantime.

Attachments

• 561.jpg
    561.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 650
tough to tell in that pic.

oh and the kicker is this is a 2 pc job haha

Yeah, sorry about that. Can't find the setup pictures for that part, this was for another company I worked for at the time. I made three brackets with about an 8" over all length and milled them and drilled a hole thru on one end so I can bolt them to the table.

Attachments

• bRACKET.jpg
    bRACKET.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 285
so i have a part thats 25"x12"x1" need machining on all sides. thinking i can hold it off the table on y axis on a knee or something to do counter bores and holes with it standing up the tall way. anyone do anything like this? it should work fine as long as u do it right i imagine.

Situational awareness is the key!
Go slow and be deliberate with every move.

Good luck!

Situational awareness is the key!
Go slow and be deliberate with every move.

Good luck!

im very aware of my machines moves and can read code very well. kinda funny how i had zero experience machining year and half ago and i can keep stuff from smashing more than guys with 30+ yrs on me :rolleyes5:

im very aware of my machines moves and can read code very well. kinda funny how i had zero experience machining year and half ago and i can keep stuff from smashing more than guys with 30+ yrs on me :rolleyes5:

It's because you are worried about smashing stuff up and the guys (not all) with 30+ years don't think they will.

For me, I know I am going to crash again at some point, it's just a matter of time. Not that I am careless, but because that guy Murphy decides to show up once in a while.

tic, tic, tic, tic.......

I cannot say anyone I have worked with wants to crash or bump a machine or tool.

BUT

I believe alot has to do with who opens their pocket when a mishap does happen.

Ever notice how neat a guys box is, how their tools are...wiped clean after use, put away. But the machine is gunked up, tooling laid about on the edge of the table.

Notice how a little screw comes loose on their caliper and works stops till they get it back in order. Shop tool...slap it back in the box and onto the shelf for the next smoo to deal with.

Mine, mine, not mine.

Yes mistakes do happen...but funny how more so with some and less with others.

I cannot say anyone I have worked with wants to crash or bump a machine or tool.

BUT

Ever notice how neat a guys box is, how their tools are...wiped clean after use, put away. But the machine is gunked up, tooling laid about on the edge of the table.

Notice how a little screw comes loose on their caliper and works stops till they get it back in order. Shop tool...slap it back in the box and onto the shelf for the next smoo to deal with.

Mine, mine, not mine.

So very, very true!

BUT

Mine, mine, not mine.

i agree, so since its my parents shop i try my hardest to not break anything, keep machines and the shop clean, and efficiency up. i setup and run our new haas as well as other vmcs. i need our new accurate machine with no problems to hit all our tolerance and not crashing it is a good start haha. i dont want murphy to visit my shop

RoboMiller
"i dont want murphy to visit my shop"

Thing is Mr Murphy is much like OSHA,he walks in when he damn well pleases.
That SOB knows all of our due dates on important jobs and that's when he makes a visit.

RoboMiller,
When you hang it up (no longer use dangerous machinery) is when you get to be cocky about how "aware" you are. $hit happen in a flash and is not deterred by good intentions. Everybody knows somebody (called Lefty?) who only got into the wrong place once, but lives with the consequences for the rest of his life.
Take care.

...i dont want murphy to visit my shop

He will...someday...when you least expect it...

...Thing is Mr Murphy is much like OSHA,he walks in when he damn well pleases.
That SOB knows all of our due dates on important jobs and that's when he makes a visit.

Spoken with the voice of experience...see above...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sounds to me like you have paid attention to what you are learning.

Yes, seems you're off to a good start. Just don't let cockiness or complacency creep into your work habits...

Back