What's new
What's new

Questionable Haas service

Gobo

Titanium
We had a Haas tech out today to fix a tool eye that they replaced a couple of months ago. He asked us how to calibrate it. Come on! The Mori and Mazak techs we see are top notch. Is this normal for Haas, or did we get the anomaly?

I think it's about like any other discipline. For every good one there are 2 bad ones and 7 mediocre ones. Last install I had done, they sent 2 trainees out, neither knew how to set up the probes.

But, the Mazak techs I used to get were hands down the worst I've ever seen.

But, the Mazak techs I used to get were hands down the worst I've ever seen.

Yep,,, Have you ever notice how many techs Mazak goes through? Only to see service guy advertising repairs on Craigslist.

As far as the OP,,,, Ah,,, I'd just chalk it up as something that was overlooked in training. Setting a tool eye is a basic task at that so would be easily overlooked.

Every one has to learn at some time ,, I have had some techs show up to do installs that I had to show "THEM" how to level a small VMC .. its not a Haas thing its a huge shortage of good guys that know what there doing . I know what some of the local places are paying and lets just say its CRAP. As a shop owner I think a lot of it has to do with my self and other owners .. We want and expect a good and fast repair for about the same hourly rate we bill out are button pushers at ...

unfortunately when I left the haas distributor that I had worked for 10 years they were hiring copier repair men . they had no clue what a CNC mill or lathe even did ! about 2 years ago the same distributor sent out a guy on his 2nd day of work to a facility I worked at to set up 2 new machines. he had no clue how to level a machine let alone what tram was or how to do it . it's sad to see what little training and quality of people they hire to save a dollar. I still like the machines ( I own 3 ) but with haas now not wanting to support the older controls , and some of the lack of quality tech's it has me very concerned about there future.

My HAAS HFO Trident Machine Tools is rock solid absolutely the best. I bought a used VF-2 last year and had them in to set it up and check it out. The service guy had trouble with the probe interface made a call and a second more experienced guy was here within an hour and they got it sorted out pretty quick. Probably just some luck involved with that one.

My SL-20 lathe is a 2008 machine and runs almost seven days a week. We had a spindle encoder go a few months ago and they had a Tech here first thing the next morning with parts on the truck, we were up and running quick.

I had a major problem with our 1-1/2 year old VF-2SS a few years back and it was caused by us to some degree. The machine was out of warranty by a few months, my HFO went to bat for us with HAAS and it cost me nothing, it was a 7 to 8 grand fix and they covered it.

I like HAAS machines and could buy any brand I wanted. We have three of them with more coming this year and next, I'm just a small Job Shop and they get the job done for us.
The service is a huge plus for me.

Make Chips Boys

Ron

Location Location Location. I've seen really good techs for Haas, Mazak, and also seen really bad for both. Methods in the northern IN are was the worst for me personally. Nice guys and all, but never fixed anything properly for us. :(

I've never had Haas come out for service, but every time I call HFO Chicago for guidance or information they are very helpful and usually point me in the right direction. Sometimes it's very difficult to get through to them, but I suppose they are just busy.

I have to say I like buying parts from them too. So easy compared to any other machine builder. No minimum, reasonable shipping, no credit application or any of that crap. They just send you the parts and send you a Net 15 invoice. Simple. Maybe it's different for large orders, but for orders up to $3000 I've had no issues.

I've had good support over the phone from Mazak, but their purchasing process is retarded. I got stuck at a customer's shop once because Mazak would not ship parts out the same day due to their credit app review process. Also, the last place I worked refused to buy a Mazak because of the lack of support in our area. All of the experienced service people spend all of their time in the big places like Cat and John Deere. Everyone else gets hind tit.

Back