What's new
What's new

Mocon Board replacement

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
any one ever done it? and reason it HAS to be done by HFO? And whats haas's policy if it doesnt fix the problem since their tech diagnosed it?

any one ever done it? and reason it HAS to be done by HFO? And whats haas's policy if it doesnt fix the problem since their tech diagnosed it?

Mocon replacement is pretty simple and straight forward. Unplug connections, replace pcb, reconnect all connections, then done; be sure to use proper grounding of your person to prevent ESD. The reason it has to be done by a Haas tech is for warranty purposes; 90 days usually. Not installed by Haas tech, no warranty and usually no returns. A lot of HFO's would install the board and then remove if it did not fix the problem with no charge for the PCB; as long as the HFO tech is the one troubleshooting, ordering, installing, and then removing the pcb. Each HFO is independent, so call the service manager prior to authorizing any repair to see if this is how they would handle the situation.

Hope this helps.

have you tried to get the old board fixed, third party?
my vector drive went-up months back and i saved $$$$ this way

yes. we have an electronics repair facility behind us that does that type of work (pretty convenient actually) They couldn't find anything to fix. but they also probably didn't have the test bench that some others would have.

yes. we have an electronics repair facility behind us that does that type of work (pretty convenient actually) They couldn't find anything to fix. but they also probably didn't have the test bench that some others would have.

What is the issue you are having, and why do you suspect the MOCON board?

machine loses its position and after a breif run is always a few thou out of position or to deep. its fine for drilling holes, but any surfacing work is out of the question. plus there is some random errors that keep popping on every other time you turn on the machine. haas diag'd it as the mocon.

That is the electronic board policy I have found for most every machine I have worked on. I can't blame them either...some he-ho comes along grabs board wrong way and its junk.

What is the issue you are having, and why do you suspect the MOCON board?

We got the mocon board changed out.. all our alarms appear to be gone. we are, however, having a bear of a time with the thermal comp. this thing is cutting way off after only 30 minutes of machining. Ive googled about everythingi can find on adjusting it. Its set to -8000000 (which appears to be a setting out of a manuals we have for a VF3 with temp sensors..however thats not the machine we have)

any chance i can probe your brain for a bit about it?

You could measure the temperature of the machine before starting, cut a circle in a plate then put in a dial indicator and check the circle. Let it run for a while, measure the temperature again and check the circle for the errors. Make a large change in the compensation and check the plate again to see if you went the right direction. Keep track of the change in temperature and corrections needed and you should be able to come up with a scaling factor.
You might be able to zero in on the corrections this way.

Back