What's new
What's new

My 2004 Hass mini mill woun't home

DobermanDave

Cast Iron
The 2004 mini mill I bought new I haven't ran in over a year. Last week I powered it up & started to home it the C went back to home bounced back & forth then eroded out with overload & shut down.

I had Haas replace the battery 4 yrs ago so that's not it. Anybody have any ideas ?

Hopefully its something simple. Start by checking the limit switches. They possibly have chips or debris blocking them.

It is probably chips on the limit switches (just guessing x axis) . I had this happen on my mini mill. Took the back table cover off and clean the debris out.

The 2004 mini mill I bought new I haven't ran in over a year. Last week I powered it up & started to home it the C went back to home bounced back & forth then eroded out with overload & shut down.

I had Haas replace the battery 4 yrs ago so that's not it. Anybody have any ideas ?

If you have a roller style switch, then most likely the limit switch is gummed up and doesn't actuate quick enough. Spray the switch with some contact cleaner while actuating it to loosen things up.

If it is a proximity switch, then probably chips on the switch as others have said.

On a side note, if your machine sits for months at a time with out use, then you should look into adding the remote battery pack relocation kit that Haas now offers, 93-34-4306. Sitting for a full year or extended periods will take its toll on the battery. With the relocation kit, you can easily and safely swap out the battery with a fresh one every year as good insurance against lost memory due to battery failure. I have been reading about way to many scenarios of lost memory this year. Just a thought.

It is probably chips on the limit switches (just guessing x axis) . I had this happen on my mini mill. Took the back table cover off and clean the debris out.

Yes it is the X any tips for getting the cover off.Do I need to take the right panel off?

The cover just has some screws in it along the sheet metal along the table. I would take all the tools out of the tool changer and clear the table off. You might have to really lean in there. You will want the machine powered down, and once you get the cover off (might have to pull the front cover as well.) You can hand turn the ball screw to get you off the hard stop. get a shop vac and some rags and start cleaning it out. I would pull all the covers and clean everything as they can build up a lot of chips.

Back