What's new
What's new

New Mini Mill VISE?

Hi guys just wondering what the best size vise would be for my new MINI MILL?
1) if you have a 6" vise with a part less than 3" and part to one side so it over hangs jaws(so you can mill the end) you usually got to put a block on the other side so jaws stay parallel.
2) so if you plan to mostly work with smaller than 3" parts often easier to use a smaller vise

Kurt DX6 is a great fit in my SMM. I also have a small, precision vise on a keyed base that I use once in a while on very small parts.

PM

Right now I keep a Kurt II vise along with a 5C Rotary on the table.

My worst issue with clearances is remembering to keep short tooling in the carousel.

Lower height of small vise is a plus...now its usually the work stop that's too tall. Hmmm, maybe time to snip off a bit then keep them dedicated to the mini.

Anyway, there is room for large vise...but they eat up lots of real estate.

I bought for small jobs...guess it depends on your needs more then what fits best.

I have two Kurt 3600v vises on my table 99.9% of the time. No clearance issues. But if you can get a Kurt DX6 vise in there with no clearance issues, I'd opt for two of those. Maybe not as precise as the 3600's, but more capacity and a few bucks cheaper.

Gerardi. Size 2 (125mm) or Size 3 (150mm).

Or larger. "I got mine".

OTOH, I have a "real" mill.. One with a table that will not offer to gradually bend under their weight. Top slide alone weighs more than an entire "Mini-Mill" does. Or a Birdport table.

so.. if not already twigged to, too heavy a vise, any make - will shorten the life of that MMSO's flimsy table and its guideways.

Don't know nor care.

Just pointing out what the OP is discussing, and it's NOT this:
2 Speed Benchtop Mill/Drill Machine

I think we ALL knew that early-on. Look up the screen at the URI:

.....machinist.com/vb/haas/new-mini-mill-vise

Point stands. "Mini". Haas sez 500 lb table load, "equally distributed".

That isn't really a very large ration for a mill with 40-taper or better and 7 1/2 HP.

I think we ALL knew that early-on. Look up the screen at the URI:

.....machinist.com/vb/haas/new-mini-mill-vise

Point stands. "Mini". Haas sez 500 lb table load, "equally distributed".

That isn't really a very large ration for a mill with 40-taper or better and 7 1/2 HP.

Uhm no, Conrad posted (and has since deleted) a post about
how the mini mills are not to be discussed.

Unfortunately, I didn't quote it, so it's gone.

Or larger. "I got mine".

OTOH, I have a "real" mill.. One with a table that will not offer to gradually bend under their weight. Top slide alone weighs more than an entire "Mini-Mill" does. Or a Birdport table.

so.. if not already twigged to, too heavy a vise, any make - will shorten the life of that MMSO's flimsy table and its guideways.

F**k man, can you for once just try and keep what you have out of it?😁
Guy asked simple question and gets grilled on the size of his tool.

On your mini, 5 inch Kurt nothing less unless you do exclusively small work.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.

Back