What's new
What's new

New TRT 100 is it worth it??

implmex

Diamond
Hi All:
I can see some benefit to adding either one or two rotary axes to my vintage Minimill.
Question is, is the new TRT 100 stiff enough to do any real milling in titanium?
I've looked at the videos on Youtube but I'd really like feedback from those who've actually USED one.
Support for the platter only on one side worries me a bit and the Mini is a pretty wimpy machine to start with, so I'm less than 100% confident it's a good idea.

I can do almost all of what I plan with a fourth and a tailstock and I have a feeling the presence of the tailstock will be mechanically more robust; eliminating the big cantilever and the consequent flex with the TRT 100 option.
It's also going to be roughly half the price.

I confess to having a boner for the fifth axis even though I haven't been hampered much by its absence in the 16 years I've owned the Mini; in fact I haven't even been hampered all that much by not having the fourth.

All my work can fit in a jacket pocket, so we're not talking about big lumps of material.
A typical roughing operation in Ti6Al4V will involve a 3/8 endmill with a 1/2" axial DOC and a 0.0075" radial stepover, so my loadmeter is never pegged; often it barely flickers.

So will it be worth it to go 5 axis or should I drop the idea and go with a fourth and a tailstock for the Minimill.
Could I even make a modern TRT 100 work on such an old machine (vintage 2001)?
I assume I'd have to do some gymnastics to get the two to talk to each other and I have neither the time nor the inclination to make a project out of this, so unless it's a dirt simple and reliable install I won't do it.
I understand the 4th axis card that's in the machine won't talk to a modern rotary, so I'd be replacing at least two drives if I went with the TRT.
I can still buy a fourth from Haas to run on the old card, but it's a special build with an inflated price, unless I can score a used one.

So tell me your thoughts please!

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

The new TRT100 is an awesome little 2-Axis Rotary.

I've seen it in action plenty of times, but still haven't had a chance to cut a part on one myself.
This thing is lighting fast!! If you need the 4th and 5th to keep up with rapids on the machine this is the solution.

Keep in mind the platter's max weight is 15lb. So work holding and stock weight have to be taken in to account.

As far as compatibility, haas website says this.

Requires software version M18.24B or later.

Software can be upgraded, not sure if the cards have to be.

Your pal,
Buttonpusher

Back