What's new
What's new

Older Vf0 Control Panel Issues? Not Responding - Makes a Dying Battery Beep?

riseandgrind

Cast Iron
I have an older 1993 Haas VFO that has been a great little machine for me. Yesterday I went out to make some parts. I noticed that during spindle warm-up the program just stayed running mid-program. It didn't change spindle speeds.

Well when I hit Reset it didn't do anything. So I hit it a few more times and the normal beep I got, then turned into a longer drawn out beep which I can only equate to the sound of like a low battery. As if the battery and just enough life to squeak out one last beep and fade out.

If I power the machine down and start it back up, the control is responsive for about 2 minutes before it becomes dead again.

No alarms, the CRT screen is fine, the keys just beep and don't work?

No clue? Any Help?

you probably need a new key pad. Your local Haas retailer should still carry them or you order from Haas direct. We have several older Haas machines and have replaced many pads. it is pretty easy. I can recall the cost.

Alfred.

you probably need a new key pad. Your local Haas retailer should still carry them or you order from Haas direct. We have several older Haas machines and have replaced many pads. it is pretty easy. I can recall the cost.

Alfred.

Why would the whole keypad need to be replaced? My membrane is is pristine condition. The keypad was working last week no issues, then I just noticed this the other day. Why would it work when I first power the machine on, then after 5 minutes of running, it only beeps when pressing keys and makes a dying beep sound?

When it was running my spindle warmup it just stayed on 1000RPM and would move onto the next spindle speed.

I don't know, just doesn't seem like it needs a whole new keypad,

I'm guessing power supply. Can you check the low voltage supply in the cabinet? Also for the heck of it maybe a quick check on the 3 phase going in to the cabinet, just to rule out one leg being low.

My first thought was the keypad also, but if it is not changing RPM then most likely it is something different.
Start checking low voltages at the 3 pcb's at the top left; should have +12VDC, -12VDC, and +5VDC. I would expect the machine to generate alarms if the voltage is low, but you never know. Next I would reseat any plug connections going to the pcb's especially the processor pcb (which is at the bottom of the stack of course).

If nothing seems to help, then I would suspect a component on one of the pcb's is going out or has developed a bad solder connection.

Are there any other symptoms that are going on that may help narrow down the problem?

My first thought was the keypad also, but if it is not changing RPM then most likely it is something different.
Start checking low voltages at the 3 pcb's at the top left; should have +12VDC, -12VDC, and +5VDC. I would expect the machine to generate alarms if the voltage is low, but you never know. Next I would reseat any plug connections going to the pcb's especially the processor pcb (which is at the bottom of the stack of course).

If nothing seems to help, then I would suspect a component on one of the pcb's is going out or has developed a bad solder connection.

Are there any other symptoms that are going on that may help narrow down the problem?

Nope. Was working fine last time I used it about a week ago.

Spindle Warm up
S500 M3:
G04 P150:
S1000 M3:
G04 P150:
S2000 M3:
G04 P150:
M30;

Will get to line G04 P150 after S1000 and just keeps running at 1000RPM

I thought huh thats weird, hit reset and the panel beeped, but didnt stop the spindle. All the buttons would beep, then the more I pressed and held the button the beep would die down.

I thought maybe a battery inside the controller.

Ugh Electrical issues, my weakness.

Well, Got the alarm today 160 Low Voltage?
What's a new board run from HAAS? SDB Board CORRECT?

On page 2 of Diagnostics it shows Voltage go from 150 to 151 It should be 160 correct?

Really not a good time for this issue, can I do any quick fixes until it totally goes out?

Trying to go from memory here so don't crucify me. I don't think you replace a board, you replace the power supply for low voltage. 1993 is quite a bit older than the one I did, ours was maybe 2010ish... Sorry I can't be of more help. I will say I think Haas has changed their policy that if a tech does not replace the part it is not covered under warranty. If you are going to do it yourself you may want to try and find a compatible part and not pay Haas markup, just a thought...

Well, Got the alarm today 160 Low Voltage?
What's a new board run from HAAS? SDB Board CORRECT?

On page 2 of Diagnostics it shows Voltage go from 150 to 151 It should be 160 correct?

Really not a good time for this issue, can I do any quick fixes until it totally goes out?

Did you check the voltage coming in? I have a '93 here also and just looked at the book, it says alarm 160 is for when the line voltage coming in is too low.

My '90 VF-1 Power Monitor board is different from Volitan's and might be the same as yours. The 160 volt capacitors are mounted separately on the chassis. The circuit is probably the same. The resistor Volitan is talking about is R17 in my schematic. The A-D pot adjusts the voltage displayed on the diagnostic page to match the actual buss voltage. The CLAMP pot adjusts when the load resistor kicks in and the OVER LOAD pot adjusts when the computer alarms for too high voltage.
One of my 18CT/14/14 Volt transformers went out. Of course these are NLA as they were special made. I replaced them with Triad transformers. These transformers supply the servo boards with low voltage.
PowerMonitor.jpg

Back