What's new
What's new

Is there a way to keep my Haas Gearbox in high gear only?

jayathorn

Plastic
I have a '98 VF-1 that is having a hard time switching back and forth from high gear to low. I am wondering if there is a setting or a parameter that will keep the machine in high gear only. Any help would be much appreciated.

If I remember just callout in your program
Sxx m42
m3

( I think M42 is high gear. Look in your manual).
Machine will stay in high gear regardless of rpms.

I think it's parameter 142 that sets the gear change rpm. You can set it to something like 50, and it will stay in high gear until you program a speed below that.

Might be better to try repairing the machine unless you never need low speed torque. One possibility is a sticky solenoid, which isn't hard to replace. Do you have clean, dry air going into the machine?

In mine it was some old hard $.25 orings and bad limit switches. Automation direct limit switches work with some hand soldering.

Thanks for all the advise! The only time we usually go into low gear is when we are drilling, tapping, and reaming. We don't really need the extra torque so I just turned the Gear Box off. (My other two machines don't even have one)Thanks again for the help! Haas quoted me $12K to repair it minus the $4k core exchange.

Thanks for all the advise! The only time we usually go into low gear is when we are drilling, tapping, and reaming. We don't really need the extra torque so I just turned the Gear Box off. (My other two machines don't even have one)Thanks again for the help! Haas quoted me $12K to repair it minus the $4k core exchange.

It IS A HEFTY Price tag for sure...but you DO get New Spindle Motor with package. Not that you need, but....

Back