What's new
What's new

Popping Tool Fix

magno_grail

Hot Rolled
I have had popping tools, some worse than others, on my '91 VF-1. I found a solution - put a coat of Carnuba wax on the tapers. No more popping. Wax will not make chips stick.

about $2000 will fix it ;) (new drawbar and springs)

OK JK, but really the taper could be a little worn or from slamming less-than-perfectly aligned tools over the years, or the drawbar/cylinder could be getting funky (just something to think about)

Also, if you run a long cycle with air blast, or no coolant, the Haas uses the coolant to cool the spindle indirectly, so run coolant! :D

Seriously though, we used to run alot of insert tools with air blast, we found we would turn coolant on and direct nozzle away form part/tool to allow it to circulate around the spindle to help with cooling, and it does make a difference....

Best way to prevent this is to stick a finger with some way lube on it and run it around the inside of the taper...Do it at least every other day. Don't forget the dab of grease on a pull stud and tool changed arm latch every so often...Every other week or so :)

Yeah make sure you grease the pull studs. Usually it lasts a long time, right up until you use TSC and it washes it all away.

When we have parts that run all day with TSC, we grease at least once a day (and wipe all the grease that comes out on the tool holder tapers). Runs fairly smoothly... I guess.

Just a little coolant mist on the tapers helps too.

I ran a 1/2 line instead of the stock 3/8, and use a 5 gal reserve tank post regulator. That gets the air to the tool piston faster.

Back