What's new
What's new

Problem with coolant tank size, too small for TM2P mill, contacted Haas....

rdn2blazer

Aluminum
So my partner and I have had our mill since mid August. I've played around with it but have not been able to really get after making parts just yet as I'm still fighting cancer and having brain swelling issues. And my partner has WAY too much on his plate. I've been designing parts for the things I want to make to sell in the future. We upgraded to the bigger coolant pump when we ordered the limm among plenty of other upgrades, and I guess it comes with an upgraded tank capacity with the larger pump. Suposedly the reg. tank is only a 5 gal talk. Find that hard to believe but thats what the Haas guy said. He said our tank is a 20 gal tank. I can run the tank low to the point of scaveging the pump in no time, so I turn it off so it don't burn it up. We can't run like this period. I contacted Haas to find out what they are going to do about this.

I was told by the guy I am in contact with, that my sales guy had a TM2 customer a few years ago that had the same exact problem, and wanted a bigger tank too. They sold him a 40 gal tank that took zero modification, it fit right under the TM fine. Only issues was he had to run a different pump with a longer pickup. He checks and says the 40 gal is no longer available. Only the 55 gal is available, but say it probably won't fit and will have to be retro fit, and it will not be covered under warrenty. He also tells me it looks like that sold three 55 gal. tanks recently, one for $1100, one for $1200, and one for $1400 bucks. So I say quote me on the tank. This asshat quotes me List @ $1495 bucks!

I say wait a minute. Haas is going to have to fix this. Our sales guy, who is Haas in my opinion gladly offered up upgrade so we would spend spend spend on upgrades any of the TP's should really be purchased with. So we did, we upgraded to a great complete package of the best options necessary. Didn't go all crazy, but it's a good optioned mill. Anyways, I say we paid cash outright and paid this in full. We expect to be treated like good customers and have this issues taken care of as it should be. We have a mill we can't run, a tank thats too small for this upgraded 3/4hp motor. I said what woud make me happy is if Haas took this tank in back return since it's brand new and has just had fresh coolant sitting in it. Give us credit toward the larger tank, and offer us a discounted price for our troubles. Thanks fair in my book. I haven't responded to the fact this guy quoted me higher then what he told me three just solf for. THAT pissed me off big time. I'm going to Haas tomorrow to discuss this with someone higer up in the food chain.

I told him, if they do handle this and actually take care of us like they should, that would be great, and we WILL be repeat customers. But if not, Oh this will get real nasty. I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt as we should. But in these instances it's usually a fight. They arn't going to want to take the tank back. Probably will come down on tank cost a bit. But if this 55 gal. deosn't fit, WTF then!?!? Not a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. I can promise I'll never buy a Haas again if we get screwed on this. And I'll bad mouth them till my last breath. May look into legal action if necessary, if it comes to it. Very disapointed.

we have one with upgraded pump...and i have never run it out of coolant... i have the 20 gal...i too think they need a bigger tank on these mills...i dont see why a 55 gal wouldnt work... are you using the chip auger while machining?

You bought the wrong machine. You can't blame Haas for that. Luckily, Haas has great resale. Sell it and get a VF2 or something. You seem to think that they should treat you like something special since you bought one $37000 dollar machine.:rolleyes5: Acting like a big deal repeat customer after such a small purchase isn't helping your case here...

I know you are venting and all...but why is he an asshat for quoting you list price? What if the other customers bought 10 machines each? Why don't you just call your salesguy and have him get in the mix? Usually they will (even for a measly 37000 dollar machine sale). He will probably get you it for less...of course, he may not. My $90000 dollar VF3SS (that I paid cash outright) had a board replaced and my salesguy couldn't care less that I paid full list of like 800 bucks:angry:

As far as running it nearly out of coolant though...it can happen a lot on any haas with only the auger system as the little screen will just get covered with chips and then the bed of the machine fills with coolant...:willy_nilly:

So take a step back, breathe...call your original salesguy and let him figure out how to help you. He is the one that is going to want to sell you another machine...the parts guys couldn't care less. Most of all, this is your mistake ultimately. Don't blame Haas for this one. The TM is a crap machine that is simply an automated bridgport. You really should have gotten a real mill if you were planning on running it like one...and yes, I do feel your pain if you were told a load of garbage by the salesguy about the TM's capability. Machine salesguys are normally about as honest and smart as used car salesguys.

I told him, if they do handle this and actually take care of us like they should, that would be great, and we WILL be repeat customers. But if not, Oh this will get real nasty. I'm giving them the benifit of the doubt as we should. But in these instances it's usually a fight. They arn't going to want to take the tank back. Probably will come down on tank cost a bit. But if this 55 gal. deosn't fit, WTF then!?!? Not a warm and fuzzy feeling about this. I can promise I'll never buy a Haas again if we get screwed on this. And I'll bad mouth them till my last breath. May look into legal action if necessary, if it comes to it. Very disapointed.

Get nasty? Come on man. Haas will squash you like a bug. Legal action? You are better off taking my first line of advise. Sell it and use that legal action money to get a real mill like the VF2 or something. I know you are frustrated but getting nasty and irate won't help you solve your problems here.

Have a TM2P with coolant upgrade, 20 gallon tank. We have not had an issue. Usually run 2 loc-lines with valve 1/2 open. lots of pressure there for us. Never run it dry let alone down very far, drains right away. The only thing I think is if the auger trough is not draining well you may have an issue.

Athack

tm's fully enclosed are perfectly fine machines...and are workhorses...always some body calling something smaller than theirs
"crap"...hell i wouldn't even think about buying a Vf3ss...mise well put real money on a real machine with the real big capabilities if you are serious about machining .like a vf5 or vf6.. $90k on vf3...wasted money... SMH

the real reason most guys talk crap about the tm's is...they are affordable for just about anyone to purchase and get into machine shops pockets.... it really all depends n what you are producing...

but i guess there is always the type that wants a bobcat with a auger attachment to did a basket ball pole hole with...LOL

Now call me a smartass if ya want, but is there some reason not to take a tape measure and a sketch pad, and have your own tank built to meet your specific needs? Can that be done for less than Haas is charging?

Or maybe run slightly smaller nozzles on the coolant? D'you need to pressure wash your parts?

Heyzoos de cristo, why would anyone want to even talk to you if you are ranting about lawyering up or 'getting nasty' over this kind of piddly stuff? Seriously. The smart money from the other end of the phone would be to stop talking to you altogether.

Second rule of retail, right after "the Customer is always Right", is that "there are some customers that you cannot afford to have", eh?

Cheers
Trev

No, we didn't buy the wrong machine. If I were to explain the entire story of how this whole thing came to be it would be a novel. I typed for 3 hours last night only to realize I was no where near even done. This mill WILL earn us enough to get to the next one. We paid cash too and no it wasn't a measly $37K, it was a well optioned up to do what we need it to do TM2P for $55K. So we have ZERO machine payments. We're starting our small machine shop company in my two car garage and no I could not fit a VF in here, we tried and would have bought the VF if it would have fit, but it was a BIG stretch on cost for us too. Concrete not thick enough and already has big cracks. The TM is sitting on one slab but is surounded by cracks. It's hopefully temporary. Will hopefully build that BIG garage I want and then I'll have room for 10 machines. So we have ZERO space payments either. Also, I'm fighting cancer and almost died on May 5th 2012 from MASSIVE brain swelling caused from a tumor in my brain. It's a hell of a long story I won't totally go into, but I'll give as brief a story about it as possible.

I passed out and hit the deck in the shower getting ready for at Saturday or OT on that Cinco Da Mayo May 5th 2012 morning. Once to the hospital it was found I had a tumor larger then an inch in my brain over my left eye. I transfer to UCLA brain tumor center and with further testing it was also found I had lung cancer. A VERY rare form of lung cancer All the doctors were saw my case and saw the amount of swelling were litterally shocked it had not killed me. My Neurosergeon said directly to me, "You should not be alive with this much brain swelling. At the very least you should have what would be expected to be on the more severe side of some form of brain damage". We can't really explain how you lived through this without seemingly any cognative or physical issues". I have really for the most, zero issues. SOme nerve damage from the surgeries of course, they had to cut through A LOT of nerves. Some minor memory loss, but that could just be my age too, typical getting older stuff. I'm 46. Cancer got me at 44.

I went through 7 1/2 hours of brain surgery. They cut my head open from ear to ear from the top of one ear to the top of the other ear across the top of my head just inside my hair line. They had to peal my forhead skin down past my eyes and entered my skull directly through my forhead into my hairline. About a 2.5 X 2.5 square cut in my skull. Tumor was resected out and the skull plate replaced and screwed in place with Titamium screws. About a month later I had a 3 1/2 hour lung biopsy to check my Lymph Nodes, thank got that were clear, had it spread it would be a death sentence. They went in my throat like a Traciotomy. Two days later I went into what was suposed to be a 3 to 4 hour surgery lung surgery, but turned into a 7 hour lung surgery to remove what we thought was just the leasion.

After I finally came around I was told they had to take 1/3 of my right lung, Not just the 3/4 inch small area that the cancer leasion was. Healing from the biopsy and the lung surgery was by far the wort pain I've ever had to suffer through. And I've had 6 major surgeries in my life starting at age 5 with a hernia and an 8" scar to show for it. Now, after the brain, biopsy, and lung surgeries I have right at 5 feet of scar in just 6 surgeries, and I've had plenty of day surgery our out patient surgery. I went through chemo, and returned to work just 6 months to the day, from the day I almost died. Just 5 1/2 months from the day of brian surgery, and just 4 1/2 months from lung surgery, and ONLY two weeks after completing my infusion chemo treatments, then started on a chemo drug for a full year. I went to work the entire time I was taking the chemo drug and I was sick for the entire year but STILL went to work.

I'm still in the middle of this fight. Right at the moment I'm having more brain swelling issues as I type this. I was put on anti inflamatory steriods to hopefully bring the swelling down, could not tolerate the side effects. Took it for 10 days and by then at rest my heart rate was 150. Was a reck. So I may be heading back for more brain surgery at some point. So my main reason for talking with my buddy about buying a machine is because I can no longer work the OT like I used to. I have nerve damage in my head and side. I can't feel most my right side or the top of my head. We are in finaicial hell. Almost lost our home. Thats the reaon I went back to work so I would not lose my home. MOst following brain surgery alone take 1 to 2 years off. I didn't get to do that. I HAD to go back and try and go to work so I wouldn't lose my home. I managed to keep it. Had to take a 2nd 401K loan just to pay off the first round of hospital bills and get caught back up on our martgage.

So as you can see crap happen. So I though I would give you a little more info on things. I figure even though I make damn good money at my work and have a great career buidling things that get shot out into space, I'm never going to get past these medical bills on even what I make, especially not being able to work the kind of OT I used to be able to do. So this is my opurtunity to try and finally give it a go, and fufill a 21+ year dream of owning a cnc machine. And at trying to machine all kinds off cool bas ass stuff and try and sell what I make. I have a product list a mile long and all the things I've made over the years has always garnered the comments, "Man, you need to start making those and selling this stuff. So, thats exactly what we are doing. I am bound and determined to survive this cancer crap and build my big garage shop and have my shop be successful. And be able to leave my son a shop to run someday. He's 12 and alreadt learning how to set tools using the probe system and how to set stock perameters using the tool probe. We have programming software, and he'll be programming and machining and making custom robot parts for school projects in no time.

And you're damn right I feel Haas SHOULD take care of this. And You are also correct in that I AM someone special. In fact, I AM a living breathing walking miracle. There have been people I've told my story too. Right afterwards, with there eye's wide open, wide eyed, have said to me, "OH MY GOD IT'S A MIRACLE YOU'R STILL ALIVE!!!" You would be honored to know me. I'm the kind of person that will stand up for myself and others. I've risked my life fighting someone with a knife to help total strangers. I had a 6" Buck knife burried to the handle in me and almost died at age 18 because of it. Noone else was seriously hurt, I took the worst of it. Another one of my 6 major surgeries. I was given a 50% chance on making it through the first night. I was stabbed just about 2 inched below my heart. I typed this first post when I made this thread while still detoxing off the steriods, so if I may have been a bit excited, well thats just the way it is. If you ever have to deal with what I'm trying to survive and not die from, and try and survive all the chemical cocktail of heavy heavy drugs I've been on for nearly 2 years now, we'll see how well you do pal.

Walk in my shoes for a day and you will understand. I know what it's like to have to basically explain to my son I could very well die during brain surgery. And that I wanted to tell him how much I loved him, and that I didn't like all our friends telling him everything would be of. Then if I died, he would be hit with a BOMB! and be shattered asking why! And but you said! I could not have my son go through that. So I wanted to he honest with him. I told him my mom that I wanted to tell him the facts, she said if you feel you need to do this then thats fine. They all stepped away for a moment, I told my boy I was THE luckiest father in the world to have a son like him. I told him I didn't want him to be hit with this bomb IF I didn't make it. I told him I loved him more then life itself. We were sobbing by them. He said he was glad I was honest to him. I prepared him for the fact I may die.

I basically said "Goodbuy" so my son that day, and prepared for the possibility I could very easily die that day. I survived to see my son and family another day thank god. So this shop will HOPEFULLY keep me from losing everything. If I have to go out for more brain surgery we WILL lose everything. So I'm just trying to make something with this asap before I'm donw for the count again. This is the ONLY way I know how to get out from under ALL these medical bills. I'd bet I'm at a million dollars between all the surgeries and MRI and PET scans and medication. My chemo meds for one year totaled $134K for only 60 tablets a month for 12 months. A 60 pills bottle for one months ran insurance over $11K a month. Our medication co-pay was $200 a month.

Oh, and by the way, We had only moved into our house just two years before I got cancer. When we moved in, the time we were suposed to have had got eaten up by the tital company slowing closing and puching it out almost the entire two weeks were were going to actually be moving. So when we DID finally get to move, instead of me getting to organize my tool bozes and shop equipment like I wanted it in my new garage, I had to pack it in and close the door for the last two years! So, while off with cancer and recovering from ALL three surgeries, and AFTER starting the iffucion chemo, I said to myself, "I'm NOT going to bee off all this time and survive this crap, only to show nothing for it around the house.

So, while loosing weight like crazy, losing almot 20 lbs, AND being sick as a dog, AND not being able to eat because of being so sick, I managed to empty my entire 2 car garage just about and re-organize it like I wanted, during the summer of 12' in 100 degree weather, I rebuild my entire 2 car garage, AND bought two 20' shipping container's for storage, helped drop them in their spots AND filled them with all my parts and supplies from my garage to clean it up to make it more of a machine shop. I did ALL that while feeling like death from the chemo and had only been out from brain surgery for THREE months, only out from biopsy surgery and lung surgery for a little over TWO weeks. I was pushing my crew cab frame and cab sitting on four carpet dollies with stitches still in my lung, the incision on my right rib cage and 60= stapled across the top of my head. When you can do and survive all that I have then you can say whay you want.

And lastly, No, this is NOT my fault ultimately. And no the sales guy actually didn't try and sell us on it's capability. He even said it's NOT a production machine. It's as the title says a tool room mill, and works very well for prototyping. We could have went cheaper and bought a TM1 but wanted at minimum a 40" travel on X. I'll settle for less power for more bed capacity any day of the week. You can ALWAYS run a little slower or cut a little less depth of cut, but you can't run a long part on a short bed without stepping the part over IF you can at all.

So yeah, maybe I was a little hot under the colar or the roids had me ramped up and agitated at the time I posted this. SO be it. In the end I still have a mill with a tank that seems to not be working like it should be. I feel I certainly have the right to be a little bothered about this, and YES I want this fixed. You sounded a little condescending in your reply. Maybe this additional info may or maynot make you realize everything is not as it seems. You can't get everything out of what people type in and on chat forums. This turned out long enough to type after three try's to make it as short as possible. The total story is INSANE and VERY VERY long. You welcome for me NOT explaining it all.

You bought the wrong machine. You can't blame Haas for that. Luckily, Haas has great resale. Sell it and get a VF2 or something. You seem to think that they should treat you like something special since you bought one $37000 dollar machine.:rolleyes5: Acting like a big deal repeat customer after such a small purchase isn't helping your case here...

I know you are venting and all...but why is he an asshat for quoting you list price? What if the other customers bought 10 machines each? Why don't you just call your salesguy and have him get in the mix? Usually they will (even for a measly 37000 dollar machine sale). He will probably get you it for less...of course, he may not. My $90000 dollar VF3SS (that I paid cash outright) had a board replaced and my salesguy couldn't care less that I paid full list of like 800 bucks:angry:

As far as running it nearly out of coolant though...it can happen a lot on any haas with only the auger system as the little screen will just get covered with chips and then the bed of the machine fills with coolant...:willy_nilly:

So take a step back, breathe...call your original salesguy and let him figure out how to help you. He is the one that is going to want to sell you another machine...the parts guys couldn't care less. Most of all, this is your mistake ultimately. Don't blame Haas for this one. The TM is a crap machine that is simply an automated bridgport. You really should have gotten a real mill if you were planning on running it like one...and yes, I do feel your pain if you were told a load of garbage by the salesguy about the TM's capability. Machine salesguys are normally about as honest and smart as used car salesguys.

Get nasty? Come on man. Haas will squash you like a bug. Legal action? You are better off taking my first line of advise. Sell it and use that legal action money to get a real mill like the VF2 or something. I know you are frustrated but getting nasty and irate won't help you solve your problems here.

So my partner and I have had our mill since mid August. I've played around with it but have not been able to really get after making parts just yet as I'm still fighting cancer and having brain swelling issues. And my partner has WAY too much on his plate. I've been designing parts for the things I want to make to sell in the future. We upgraded to the bigger coolant pump when we ordered the limm among plenty of other upgrades, and I guess it comes with an upgraded tank capacity with the larger pump. Suposedly the reg. tank is only a 5 gal talk. Find that hard to believe but thats what the Haas guy said. He said our tank is a 20 gal tank. I can run the tank low to the point of scaveging the pump in no time, so I turn it off so it don't burn it up. We can't run like this period. I contacted Haas to find out what they are going to do about this.

I was told by the guy I am in contact with, that my sales guy had a TM2 customer a few years ago that had the same exact problem, and wanted a bigger tank too. They sold him a 40 gal tank that took zero modification, it fit right under the TM fine. Only issues was he had to run a different pump with a longer pickup. He checks and says the 40 gal is no longer available. Only the 55 gal is available, but say it probably won't fit and will have to be retro fit, and it will not be covered under warrenty. He also tells me it looks like that sold three 55 gal. tanks recently, one for $1100, one for $1200, and one for $1400 bucks. So I say quote me on the tank. This asshat quotes me List @ $1495 bucks!

I say wait a minute. Haas is going to have to fix this. Our sales guy, who is Haas in my opinion gladly offered up upgrade so we would spend spend spend on upgrades any of the TP's should really be purchased with. So we did, we upgraded to a great complete package of the best options necessary. Didn't go all crazy, but it's a good optioned mill. Anyways, I say we paid cash outright and paid this in full. We expect to be treated like good customers and have this issues taken care of as it should be. We have a mill we can't run, a tank thats too small for this upgraded 3/4hp motor. I said what woud make me happy is if Haas took this tank in back return since it's brand new and has just had fresh coolant sitting in it. Give us credit toward the larger tank, and offer us a discounted price for our troubles. Thanks fair in my book. I haven't responded to the fact this guy quoted me higher then what he told me three just solf for. THAT pissed me off big time. I'm going to Haas tomorrow to discuss this with someone higer up in the food chain.

I have a VF-2 tank/pump on my TM-2. A shop that only cuts graphite was selling it. All that it took to change over was an upgraded circuit breaker. The previous coolant flow was a joke compared to what it is now.

Tim

No, we didn't buy the wrong machine. If I were to explain the entire story of how this whole thing came to be it would be a novel. I typed for 3 hours last night only to realize I was no where near even done. This mill WILL earn us enough to get to the next one. We paid cash too and no it wasn't a measly $37K, it was a well optioned up to do what we need it to do TM2P for $55K. So we have ZERO machine payments. We're starting our small machine shop company in my two car garage and no I could not fit a VF in here, we tried and would have bought the VF if it would have fit, but it was a BIG stretch on cost for us too. Concrete not thick enough and already has big cracks. The TM is sitting on one slab but is surounded by cracks. It's hopefully temporary. Will hopefully build that BIG garage I want and then I'll have room for 10 machines. So we have ZERO space payments either. Also, I'm fighting cancer and almost died on May 5th 2012 from MASSIVE brain swelling caused from a tumor in my brain. It's a hell of a long story I won't totally go into, but I'll give as brief a story about it as possible.

I passed out and hit the deck in the shower getting ready for at Saturday or OT on that Cinco Da Mayo May 5th 2012 morning. Once to the hospital it was found I had a tumor larger then an inch in my brain over my left eye. I transfer to UCLA brain tumor center and with further testing it was also found I had lung cancer. A VERY rare form of lung cancer All the doctors were saw my case and saw the amount of swelling were litterally shocked it had not killed me. My Neurosergeon said directly to me, "You should not be alive with this much brain swelling. At the very least you should have what would be expected to be on the more severe side of some form of brain damage". We can't really explain how you lived through this without seemingly any cognative or physical issues". I have really for the most, zero issues. SOme nerve damage from the surgeries of course, they had to cut through A LOT of nerves. Some minor memory loss, but that could just be my age too, typical getting older stuff. I'm 46. Cancer got me at 44.

I went through 7 1/2 hours of brain surgery. They cut my head open from ear to ear from the top of one ear to the top of the other ear across the top of my head just inside my hair line. They had to peal my forhead skin down past my eyes and entered my skull directly through my forhead into my hairline. About a 2.5 X 2.5 square cut in my skull. Tumor was resected out and the skull plate replaced and screwed in place with Titamium screws. About a month later I had a 3 1/2 hour lung biopsy to check my Lymph Nodes, thank got that were clear, had it spread it would be a death sentence. They went in my throat like a Traciotomy. Two days later I went into what was suposed to be a 3 to 4 hour surgery lung surgery, but turned into a 7 hour lung surgery to remove what we thought was just the leasion.

After I finally came around I was told they had to take 1/3 of my right lung, Not just the 3/4 inch small area that the cancer leasion was. Healing from the biopsy and the lung surgery was by far the wort pain I've ever had to suffer through. And I've had 6 major surgeries in my life starting at age 5 with a hernia and an 8" scar to show for it. Now, after the brain, biopsy, and lung surgeries I have right at 5 feet of scar in just 6 surgeries, and I've had plenty of day surgery our out patient surgery. I went through chemo, and returned to work just 6 months to the day, from the day I almost died. Just 5 1/2 months from the day of brian surgery, and just 4 1/2 months from lung surgery, and ONLY two weeks after completing my infusion chemo treatments, then started on a chemo drug for a full year. I went to work the entire time I was taking the chemo drug and I was sick for the entire year but STILL went to work.

I'm still in the middle of this fight. Right at the moment I'm having more brain swelling issues as I type this. I was put on anti inflamatory steriods to hopefully bring the swelling down, could not tolerate the side effects. Took it for 10 days and by then at rest my heart rate was 150. Was a reck. So I may be heading back for more brain surgery at some point. So my main reason for talking with my buddy about buying a machine is because I can no longer work the OT like I used to. I have nerve damage in my head and side. I can't feel most my right side or the top of my head. We are in finaicial hell. Almost lost our home. Thats the reaon I went back to work so I would not lose my home. MOst following brain surgery alone take 1 to 2 years off. I didn't get to do that. I HAD to go back and try and go to work so I wouldn't lose my home. I managed to keep it. Had to take a 2nd 401K loan just to pay off the first round of hospital bills and get caught back up on our martgage.

So as you can see crap happen. So I though I would give you a little more info on things. I figure even though I make damn good money at my work and have a great career buidling things that get shot out into space, I'm never going to get past these medical bills on even what I make, especially not being able to work the kind of OT I used to be able to do. So this is my opurtunity to try and finally give it a go, and fufill a 21+ year dream of owning a cnc machine. And at trying to machine all kinds off cool bas ass stuff and try and sell what I make. I have a product list a mile long and all the things I've made over the years has always garnered the comments, "Man, you need to start making those and selling this stuff. So, thats exactly what we are doing. I am bound and determined to survive this cancer crap and build my big garage shop and have my shop be successful. And be able to leave my son a shop to run someday. He's 12 and alreadt learning how to set tools using the probe system and how to set stock perameters using the tool probe. We have programming software, and he'll be programming and machining and making custom robot parts for school projects in no time.

And you're damn right I feel Haas SHOULD take care of this. And You are also correct in that I AM someone special. In fact, I AM a living breathing walking miracle. There have been people I've told my story too. Right afterwards, with there eye's wide open, wide eyed, have said to me, "OH MY GOD IT'S A MIRACLE YOU'R STILL ALIVE!!!" You would be honored to know me. I'm the kind of person that will stand up for myself and others. I've risked my life fighting someone with a knife to help total strangers. I had a 6" Buck knife burried to the handle in me and almost died at age 18 because of it. Noone else was seriously hurt, I took the worst of it. Another one of my 6 major surgeries. I was given a 50% chance on making it through the first night. I was stabbed just about 2 inched below my heart. I typed this first post when I made this thread while still detoxing off the steriods, so if I may have been a bit excited, well thats just the way it is. If you ever have to deal with what I'm trying to survive and not die from, and try and survive all the chemical cocktail of heavy heavy drugs I've been on for nearly 2 years now, we'll see how well you do pal.

Walk in my shoes for a day and you will understand. I know what it's like to have to basically explain to my son I could very well die during brain surgery. And that I wanted to tell him how much I loved him, and that I didn't like all our friends telling him everything would be of. Then if I died, he would be hit with a BOMB! and be shattered asking why! And but you said! I could not have my son go through that. So I wanted to he honest with him. I told him my mom that I wanted to tell him the facts, she said if you feel you need to do this then thats fine. They all stepped away for a moment, I told my boy I was THE luckiest father in the world to have a son like him. I told him I didn't want him to be hit with this bomb IF I didn't make it. I told him I loved him more then life itself. We were sobbing by them. He said he was glad I was honest to him. I prepared him for the fact I may die.

I basically said "Goodbuy" so my son that day, and prepared for the possibility I could very easily die that day. I survived to see my son and family another day thank god. So this shop will HOPEFULLY keep me from losing everything. If I have to go out for more brain surgery we WILL lose everything. So I'm just trying to make something with this asap before I'm donw for the count again. This is the ONLY way I know how to get out from under ALL these medical bills. I'd bet I'm at a million dollars between all the surgeries and MRI and PET scans and medication. My chemo meds for one year totaled $134K for only 60 tablets a month for 12 months. A 60 pills bottle for one months ran insurance over $11K a month. Our medication co-pay was $200 a month.

Oh, and by the way, We had only moved into our house just two years before I got cancer. When we moved in, the time we were suposed to have had got eaten up by the tital company slowing closing and puching it out almost the entire two weeks were were going to actually be moving. So when we DID finally get to move, instead of me getting to organize my tool bozes and shop equipment like I wanted it in my new garage, I had to pack it in and close the door for the last two years! So, while off with cancer and recovering from ALL three surgeries, and AFTER starting the iffucion chemo, I said to myself, "I'm NOT going to bee off all this time and survive this crap, only to show nothing for it around the house.

So, while loosing weight like crazy, losing almot 20 lbs, AND being sick as a dog, AND not being able to eat because of being so sick, I managed to empty my entire 2 car garage just about and re-organize it like I wanted, during the summer of 12' in 100 degree weather, I rebuild my entire 2 car garage, AND bought two 20' shipping container's for storage, helped drop them in their spots AND filled them with all my parts and supplies from my garage to clean it up to make it more of a machine shop. I did ALL that while feeling like death from the chemo and had only been out from brain surgery for THREE months, only out from biopsy surgery and lung surgery for a little over TWO weeks. I was pushing my crew cab frame and cab sitting on four carpet dollies with stitches still in my lung, the incision on my right rib cage and 60= stapled across the top of my head. When you can do and survive all that I have then you can say whay you want.

And lastly, No, this is NOT my fault ultimately. And no the sales guy actually didn't try and sell us on it's capability. He even said it's NOT a production machine. It's as the title says a tool room mill, and works very well for prototyping. We could have went cheaper and bought a TM1 but wanted at minimum a 40" travel on X. I'll settle for less power for more bed capacity any day of the week. You can ALWAYS run a little slower or cut a little less depth of cut, but you can't run a long part on a short bed without stepping the part over IF you can at all.

So yeah, maybe I was a little hot under the colar or the roids had me ramped up and agitated at the time I posted this. SO be it. In the end I still have a mill with a tank that seems to not be working like it should be. I feel I certainly have the right to be a little bothered about this, and YES I want this fixed. You sounded a little condescending in your reply. Maybe this additional info may or maynot make you realize everything is not as it seems. You can't get everything out of what people type in and on chat forums. This turned out long enough to type after three try's to make it as short as possible. The total story is INSANE and VERY VERY long. You welcome for me NOT explaining it all.

Well, let's see, I have been fighting atrial fibrillation for about 5 years plus now. Three years ago I bit or stung by something and ended up in the hospital for four days (two of them in the ER) and I ended up with a paralyzed left diaphragm (the muscle that works the lung so now I have only one working lung), I have bad arthritis in my knees and starting into my hands too.

I was retired, (now 66 years old) after being in the machine shop business for years, but lost it all because the Government decided to mess with the housing market and give free home loans to everyone who could sign a loan with his or her names or someone else's.

Sold everything I had to keep my current business going long enough to start making money, coming with in 30 to 45 days of just going bankrupt. Generally work 7 days a week and in fact I here working today (Sunday) trying to catch up and make a decent living.

I guess I should call Haas and tell them I need something upgraded on my machine for free!!!! I don't think I'm going to hold my breath that it will happen though, especially with only one working lung! :)

I don't mean to offend you, but perhaps it's time to grow up, suck it up and just have a larger tank built. Will cost less and you can customized the shape to fit your needs. The stock tank will do, many many machines out there using them, but if you want to change, just do it.

You want to see piddly ass coolant, you should have seen my 91 VF-1! Even at my age I still pee faster than that!

Mike

tm's fully enclosed are perfectly fine machines...and are workhorses...always some body calling something smaller than theirs
"crap"...hell i wouldn't even think about buying a Vf3ss...mise well put real money on a real machine with the real big capabilities if you are serious about machining .like a vf5 or vf6.. $90k on vf3...wasted money... SMH

the real reason most guys talk crap about the tm's is...they are affordable for just about anyone to purchase and get into machine shops pockets.... it really all depends n what you are producing...

but i guess there is always the type that wants a bobcat with a auger attachment to did a basket ball pole hole with...LOL

Well, first of all, as he just mentioned, he wanted a VF2...which IS smaller than mine, yet I was first to recommend to him. And after hearing he first wanted the VF2, it sounds like he may be trying to run like the VF2 would allow, but the machine he bought is less suitable to.

Second, they are very much not workhorses. Unless they have changed them a bunch they are super flexy. Just lean against the table with an indicator on it and you will see what I mean...I've done it and I don't weigh that much...I guess it depends on your idea of a horse...I would say that the TL1's and TL2's ARE workhorses...to me, though, the TM's fell way short. It also sounds like it isn't working like much of a horse for the OP either.

Third...why not a VF3? It is fact that the 40x20 machine is the "workhorse" (to use your word) that is the size more common in shops than any. I bought the machine I needed. I have only done 2 or 3 parts on it that a larger machine may have been easier on but I didn't even need the larger machine. The only thing a larger machine would do is make all the prototyping I do much more tedious.

90k wasted money? 90k is nothing for what this machine makes me. And 7 years ago when I bought it (for about 75 initially before some add-ons I have done) there was not much in that price range that could compete.

The "actual" real reason I don't care for the TM is because of my second point. The older Trak's we had were more rigid than the Haas TM....and yes...even a bridgport can be useful but you won't see me running high production parts on one.

Your last sentence makes no sense.

Well, let's see, I have been fighting atrial fibrillation for about 5 years plus now. Three years ago I bit or stung by something and ended up in the hospital for four days (two of them in the ER) and I ended up with a paralyzed left diaphragm (the muscle that works the lung so now I have only one working lung), I have bad arthritis in my knees and starting into my hands too.

I was retired, (now 66 years old) after being in the machine shop business for years, but lost it all because the Government decided to mess with the housing market and give free home loans to everyone who could sign a loan with his or her names or someone else's.

Sold everything I had to keep my current business going long enough to start making money, coming with in 30 to 45 days of just going bankrupt. Generally work 7 days a week and in fact I here working today (Sunday) trying to catch up and make a decent living..........

Are you trying to suggest to us that you are as special as rdn2? :toetap:

All I can say to the OP is good luck. Sounds like you've developed quite the "holier than thou" mentality.

....So my partner and I have had our mill since mid August.

....He said our tank is a 20 gal tank. I can run the tank low to the point of scaveging the pump in no time, so I turn it off so it don't burn it up. We can't run like this period.

....I contacted Haas to find out what they are going to do about this.

So my partner and I had our truck since mid August

He said our tires were 31 inch. I can run the truck in mud to the point of burying the wheels in no time, so I get towed out so I don't get too stuck. We can't run like this period.

I contacted Ford to find out what they are going to do about this.

Any questions??:nutter:

Give us credit toward the larger tank, and offer us a discounted price for our troubles.

If I were you I'd hold my breath.

Were I work we have a TM1P and it has the standard 5 gallon tank... Not nearly enough though I have recently convinced my boss who is also my father to look into getting a larger tank for the machine. We have been doing a lot of milling on aluminum and inconel parts and they fill the troth with chips in a real hurry and I find I spend a couple min every 3 or 4 parts digging them out of the troth to get the coolant into the tank and every 4 or 5 hours of machining I have to replace 2 gallons of water in the coolant. Also I have two nozzles and in order to keep the coolant high enough in the tank when milling so I cant hear the pump grind after 10 min or more of continual running I need to keep it filled to to within 1/8 of an inch from the top when all the coolant is in the tank. Personally I would love a 20 gallon tank I would still have to dig chips out but at least I wouldn't have to worry about the pump so much.

Find a local farm supply store. Pick up a water trough that is large enough and takes little to no modification to fit under the drain. Either poke a few holes in the coolant tank you have now and put it in the trough or make a bracket to mount the pump in it. Problem solved for under $100 and less than an hour of your time.

Back