What's new
What's new

Programmable coolant not going to programmed position

Ludasmith

Cast Iron
I have a 2002 VF3 with the programmable coolant. On the tool offset page, I also put in the position number for the coolant. But, when the program runs the nozzle goes to position 1. I can't remember if it stays where put with a tool change or if it goes back to position 1, I can look Monday if that's important.

When I do the power up restart upon firing the machine up, the coolant nozzle does not home out (not sure if it is supposed to or not with the PUR). It does home when I press coolant up. It works fine when I press the coolant up and down buttons. Everything I've Google'd and found was people having issues with it hunting, or going all the way up or down. This one works fine other than not going to the position specified on the offsets page.

I'm new to running a Haas, so I very well could just be doing something wrong. I'm assuming I am since it otherwise works okay.

Any ideas?

If it's moving up from a low position it usually is lower than program position. Use a value that correts it.

If moving with keyboard avoid pressing too many times to get in position - beep, beep, beep. Not beepbeepbeepbeep..

If it's really random and inconsistent. Remove it and take off cover. Coolant can weep inside and gum up the microswitch. Clean with isopropanol.

P-Cool will move to Coolant position inserted on your offset page when called, ie G43 H1.
BUT the first time a coolant position is called, the nozzle will first go Home (furthest Up position) then clock in incrementally.

Each H call will add or subtract a position based on number entered in Offset.

Manual Keyboard will override H coolant position then revert back to Offset coolant position on next call.

Now...as I mentioned the nozzle moves incrementally...so if the switch see's "Home" when nozzle is not Home...every position will be off by that amount. If nozzle goes to end of its travel it will try to "Home" then move to position...

So...a bad switch that does not see home can through off your position.
A bad switch that does not see each tick count can through off position.
A binding mechanism can through off position.

Coolant muck, chips, debris, crude and if the nozzle is manhandled or crashed one can expect to see eradicate movements and nozzle locations.

FYI- I found cleaning switches can work...but once seals wear enough to allow crude in once, its not long before crudes back in again.

Yea, I played that game for a while once.
Cleaning and adjusting the switch. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't.
Only permanent fix I found was replace the entire unit. Sucked to the tune of $800.
But, it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Your machine is old enough that you will need a couple adapter brackets to get the new-style unit to bolt up.
HAAS doesn't sell the older style any more. But, they will sell you the brackets (of course).
The only bonus other than it functioning properly after replacement was:
I was able to upgrade to use all 34 positions vs. I think 18? on the old unit. (the mill in question for me was an 04)

LOL..I did the permanent fix too...but mine only lasted only a few days.

But that "may" have had something to do with a brief close meeting between the nozzle and the rotary table.
On the up side I didn't have to buy the new brackets again...

Back