What's new
What's new

recommended vise for a mini mill

vr6

Aluminum
what would everyone recommend for an ideal vise for a mini mill? the mini mill i have will be used in a school environment and not in an industrial setting. please post a picture if you can with your setup too if you can

thanks for everyone's reply

what would everyone recommend for an ideal vise for a mini mill? the mini mill i have will be used in a school environment and not in an industrial setting. please post a picture if you can with your setup too if you can

thanks for everyone's reply

Gerardi. It's a low profile vise, so you don't loose a lot of Z travel. The size 2 (125 mm) fits like a glove in the Mini.

vr6,

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know, but will mention anyways -- be careful if you drop a Kurt or equivalent vise on the table. If you bolt it down in the center slot on the table, and you jog the machine all the way negative in Y, there a chance you will smack the back of the vise into the column in the back/center wall of the machine (since the vise may hang slightly over the edge of the table like mine does).

I have a very small precision vise I made an adapter for that I drop into the MM when I'm working on small items -- works great.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,301
I would recommend the Kurt DX6™ second choice the 688. As mentioned Y axis travel needs to be checked - place the vice on the table and jog vice all the way to back and leave at least 1/8". I believe our 688 leaves about 1/4" using the standard bolt down slots.

This vice is the most versatile and top quality - with minimal care it will last longer than the machine it is mounted on. Sure you can get a cheaper copy, but they are not the same, I have replaced both my off brand vices with the 688 and regret I even bothered with the "cheaper" ones, I saved nothing and spent more in time and lost parts from chasing and compromising for the inferior strength and quality of the copies.

PS - Make sure your post includes a Z movement then an X travel to the extreme right to allow tool clearance for tool changes. Its crowded in there!

Back