What's new
What's new

Renishaw OMI-2T or 2H(aas plug) for 98 VF/4 Do I need the plug end or loose wires

countryguy

Hot Rolled
From a prior post I started asking about adding a probe and now probably an OTS into my 1998 Haas classic VF/4. The software all checks out. I have 2 open M code inputs M22/23. Have Skip, Macros, and G31, etc. I am working w. member Probe and a Metrology vendor for the following : OMP40-2 and an OMI2-H or T.. .and the OTSAA...

Being the newbs. (Dad/Son project here), We simply do not know if we need the OMI-2H (with haas plug) or the "T" version that comes w/ open wiring end. Being so old, would guess the later but I do not know!

Anyone know about the way in which the OMI-2 wires into the older haas systems? The "t" model is $100 cheaper. HAte to just cut off a plug for $100. A Picture would be worth a million here is anyone has similar!

thanks much and happy holidays everyone.
CG.

Told by trusted source to go w/ the OMI-2T. The kid and I will put up some detail w/ notes & pics, and maybe even a Vid as we get this project moving in the coming month(s) or so.

Either one would work. Digikey has ends for the haas connector. You'll also need two output relays. I used my aux relays. One for power and one to switch, or one each for power.

Hey Friesen, Mind a quick Q? Which Renishaw probe and reciever product are you using again? Also was wondering if you use or wrote any other Macros as well? Probes stuff looks simply amazing! Just wondered if parts of this project could involve looking at the Haas/Reni macro goodies is all? Total newb in the auto-measuring but we'll get there.

PS- TY for noting Mike @ metrologyparts.com They had everything I needed! used refurb, tested, and a warranty to boot. Every price beat EBay as well. Great guys and helpful

I bought the omp2 straight from haas with options for 5.6k or whatever it was . Mine is a 96 vf2. I lightly modified the standard renishaw routines you can download from haas. I just had to change the relay on off macros to match my aux relays. Also, I printed and laminated a quick reference chart with gcodes, I think I posted it somewhere on this forum.

Anyway, now I updated to the newer control, it makes using the probe easier, although mdi with quick reference isn't too bad either.

Gotch ya. Probe (member) has OTS on the list now as well, so we went w/ the 1/2 AA from Mike while he had them (refurb). What the heck right! :-) Nervous about breaking some of these things, but we'll just take it slow. A great winter project. I'll search for your card. I think I have seen that post.

A good doc I found and am reading (for eternal ref. here. )
http://microfluidics.cnsi.ucsb.edu/tools/Haas_SMM/Haas Mill WIPS Probe Training Manual.pdf

... We are a Dad / Son hobby CNC geek team w/ a 1998 Haas VF/4 we just restored in our Garage! Yikes. But a total blast learning. ThankYou to this PM site and all the members who have helped us!

I messed up my probe while setting up at first, I leaned into the unclamp button and dropped it onto the table. It broke the tip and I think perhaps slightly put the probe tip on angle.

Told by trusted source to go w/ the OMI-2T. The kid and I will put up some detail w/ notes & pics, and maybe even a Vid as we get this project moving in the coming month(s) or so.

Hi. How did you go wiring in the OMI-2T as I can't find any wiring conversion diagrams (that I can read) to connect the OMI-2H to the Haas 33-0615 cable (ie the conversion from the OMI-2T Renishaw wiring colors to the OMI-2H wire colors.

Changed.. Here is the diagram I have for the OMI2T as I wired it. Use the PDFs as noted above to verify as well. It was last Winter I put in, exactly as outlined in the PDF attached. if you need, contact Member PROBE on this forum for a set of easy programs and for an install guide and help. Amazingly smart guy!

Last edited:
Look in your documentation.If it deos not come in the boxes, get the installation manual Reinshaw OMI 2H / OMI 2T pdfs.

And there is listed cable color coding, specs, installation instructions and a i/o explanation so you actually know what signal is what.

Going simply by wire colors to connect something electrical, is a foolish way to go about it.

Connect each I/O function pr the documentation and your good to go.
Download the 2 and connect start input 1 where start input 1 was connected before, etc.

As for relays. The Haas pcb relays are standard, your AUX relays i wouldnt know so are they eaily replaceable?
If its a pcb relay thats soldered and not socket mounted your better off bying separate ones.

If not buy yourself 2 DIN mounted SSR relays and dimension them generously especially in the voltage range they can handle, so a spike won't ruin the switching transistor witch is usually what breaks them.
Since its not a inductive load even normal relays should last a while.

Jeez... 19.5Kb upload limit... man, I think I'm on the stoneman's 2400Kbuad BBS from 1989 or something.
forget the PDF. PNG attached now. as a pic. That seesm to allow large sizes.
haas-ReniOMI2TWire.jpg

Changed.. Here is the diagram I have for the OMI2T as I wired it. Use the PDFs as noted above to verify as well. It was last Winter I put in, exactly as outlined in the PDF attached. if you need, contact Member PROBE on this forum for a set of easy programs and for an install guide and help. Amazingly smart guy!

Last edited:
Jeez... 19.5Kb upload limit... man, I think I'm on the stoneman's 2400Kbuad BBS from 1989 or something.
View attachment 235187
-

Thank you for the wiring diagram. This was how I was going to wire it in from the Renishaw instruction manuals. The only thing that confused me was this diagram I found posted by someone which connect SSR's 1 and 2 from the OMI-2T to the single equivalent SSR wiring of the 2T.
Interface.jpg

View attachment 235187
-

Thank you for the wiring diagram. This was how I was going to wire it in from the Renishaw instruction manuals. The only thing that confused me was this diagram I found posted by someone which connect SSR's 1 and 2 from the OMI-2T to the single equivalent SSR wiring of the 2T.Interface.jpg

Back