What's new
What's new

retract speed

werkzeug

Plastic
hi all
i work on a 2007 haas vf4. is there a way to change the rapid (motion) speed inside a program?. say i want to move only at 5% rapid at some part within a program and than change it (back) to 50% for the rest.
thanks

Why do you want the rapids to be at 5% for some of the program but not all of it? I get sometimes you need the rapid slow for positioning or janky setups. If for some crazy reason you really do need to, I don't know if it's possible unless you do like chips ahoy said.

i want to retract reamers at a slow speed coming out of the hole, then when drills are active go back to fast retract speed

yeah G85 is pretty close, bore in bore out, but no peck.it would also be nicer to retract a bit faster than the bore out feed. ideal would be if i could call the rapid5% up in a program

You can make your own sub routine that can peck drill down and th en at the bottom of the hole you feed back out at whatever feed rate you want. It will be a bit of codes maybe 8 lines, but once you have it written as a sub you can use it wherever you want. Or you could write a macro which would be an even better option because it would be completely cuatomizable.

Another idea is to use a tapping cycle to ream. The only down side would be that your spindle will reverse on the up feed which may not be the best thing for your.reamer

I was going to also suggest a tapping cycle with setting 130 set to 1, but you will still be reversing.

I think they best way would be using a G1, dwell and G1 back out.

You can make your own sub routine that can peck drill down and th en at the bottom of the hole you feed back out at whatever feed rate you want. It will be a bit of codes maybe 8 lines, but once you have it written as a sub you can use it wherever you want. Or you could write a macro which would be an even better option because it would be completely cuatomizable.

This would be your best option. Once you have your code written, assign it to a custom M-Code then its only 1 code any time you want to use it. Custom m-codes are covered in the manual.

And to answer your question, no, you cannot alter rapid movement as you are describing.

Last edited:
i want to retract reamers at a slow speed coming out of the hole, then when drills are active go back to fast retract speed
A coworker turned me onto a great simple method years ago.
G86. I use it exclusively for reaming now.

Your best bet is a G85 I use it all the time why would you want to peck with a reamer? I would think you would want to do it in one smooth pass instead of poking at the hole then you run the risk of cutting big at the top as the tip of your reamer will make contact with the top of your hole multiple times. I guess maybe if it's steel and you need to clear the chips but I was reaming .062 holes 2" deep one pass and I'd of eaten off the finish I got.

Back