What's new
What's new

Rigid Tapping- 2nd part- Do you need the Compression collets

Totally depends on your machine, and taps. If you don't need it you don't want it. If you do need it either fix your machine or get floating holders, the best being reversing tapping heads. All IMO.

Let me guess... whoever is telling you you need some kind of tapping head are also the ones who'll sell it to you, right?

We have tapped many, many thousands of 0-80 up to 1/4-20 holes in aluminum and stainless with nothing more than a Balax form tap, a regular old ER collet and chuck, and rigid tapping. I program for 6000 RPM and whatever the spindle can get to is what the tap runs at in aluminum. This is on a 2007 VF-2ss. We replace taps out of sheer respect for their long service much more than we actually break taps.

Thanks MAtt, Actually he did not really try to push them. I saw them listed (and the Son and I are new). So I did a little searching here I found some older threads about their use in Syncro/Rigid tapping systems. The Rep noted a solid collet would probably do just fine and that some prefer them, some do not when told they are suggested/required. I guess I'm still unsure if the the older 1998 Haas vf/4 w/ 'rigid tapping' means I 'should' use them, or I do 'not' need them based on how they do the tapping.

Real easy to check.

Toss a 5/16 drill in a holder and pop a hole a piece of metal
Put a 3/8-16 tap in a collet and have at it. Thread comes out right...you have true rigid tapping working for you.

Tap pulls, pushes, slips in collet and threads are mangled...you don't have rigid tapping and need a compensating head...or need some work done to machine.

Also if your tapping at a slow RPM (2-300rpm) with a machine that does not have rigid tapping...the spindle kinda coasts to a stop then reverses out. Rigid creates a definite stop, reverse and out.

Running a 2007 vintage TM-1P. Regularly use ER solid tapping collets like these: ER Rigid Tap Collets (Inch) Don't remember exact brand, but they're just like the ones at the link. No problems tapping up to 3/8-16 in aluminum and mild steel. Don't run quite so fast as Matt (usually less than 600 RPM), but YMMV.

Good luck!

Back