What's new
What's new

RS232 TM1 Issues: Can send from mill to computer, but not computer to mill.

nerdyrcdriver

Aluminum
We have a TM1 that has been sitting unused for a while. I have set up RS232 on several Haas machines in the past and used the same settings as I have before. I can send from the machine to a PC just fine, but I can not send from the computer to the mill. I have the 9 to 25 pin cable with the correct configuration per the manual. It is a cable I have used in the past on other Haas machines without issue.

My next step is to hardware switch com1 and 2 internally on the mill, but I won't have access again until tomorrow afternoon.

I found several threads about this, but most of them are from years ago. And the ones I have read to far just end with no solution.

You did not mention year but with the older mills the computer comm port setting has to be changed for zero buffer size (under advanced settings). The port may be set for 9600 baud but without hardware handshaking the mill has no way to stop the PC from sending data when its buffer (which is very small)is full.
With the PC port buffer set to Zero the PC has to put more data on the port after each byte is sent instead of loading up the buffer.

You did not mention year but with the older mills the computer comm port setting has to be changed for zero buffer size (under advanced settings). The port may be set for 9600 baud but without hardware handshaking the mill has no way to stop the PC from sending data when its buffer (which is very small)is full.
With the PC port buffer set to Zero the PC has to put more data on the port after each byte is sent instead of loading up the buffer.

Not exactly sure on what year the machine is. My guess is early 2000s. LCD, but still rocking the floppy drive and no USB port. The Haas tech couldn't get it to read from the floppy drive and couldn't get it to do anything over serial. But since he couldn't get it to talk to the computer at all, the fact that I got it to send at least one way made it promising. The machine has two demo programs and a spindle warm up. Only has a couple hours on it total.

We have a TM1 that has been sitting unused for a while. I have set up RS232 on several Haas machines in the past and used the same settings as I have before. I can send from the machine to a PC just fine, but I can not send from the computer to the mill. I have the 9 to 25 pin cable with the correct configuration per the manual. It is a cable I have used in the past on other Haas machines without issue.

My next step is to hardware switch com1 and 2 internally on the mill, but I won't have access again until tomorrow afternoon.

I found several threads about this, but most of them are from years ago. And the ones I have read to far just end with no solution.

Make sure that you have the machine on the program page with "ALL" highlighted. On some models, that is the only way it will take it.

Well, I managed to get it to work great today. Not sure exactly what step made it work. I opened up the back of the mill and swapped the cables going to the serial port boards and then plugged in the 25 pin to port 2 instead of 1.

Now that we can get files on it, we need to learn how to use it efficiently.

If anyone has any other tricks or advice with this problem I would like to hear them. My tm-1 (2007) has never had luck transferring programs.
Swapped cables around in the back and had a haas tech look at it, no cigar.

If anyone has any other tricks or advice with this problem I would like to hear them. My tm-1 (2007) has never had luck transferring programs.
Swapped cables around in the back and had a haas tech look at it, no cigar.

What program are you using to send the files over RS232? What cable do you have? A straight 9 to 25 pin won't work. You either need a null modem to go with it or a cable with the pins switched around like shown near the end of the operations manual. When you say that you swapped the cable around in the back, do you mean externally switching from serial port 1 to 2 or actually opening the back and switching the cables?

To get to the serial settings hit SETTING GRAPH and page down until you reach the screen shown in the picture. I had to change the settings depending on which program I used to transfer the files. When you change a setting be sure to hit write/enter before moving to the next setting.

Using a program called CNC File Transfer (no idea where to get it) I set the port settings to the following:
Baud Rate: 19200
Data bits: 8
Stop Bits: 1
Parity: Even
Flow Control: Software (Xon/Xoff)

Then under the Program tab:
Initialization String: %
Termination String: %
EOB Sequence: CR LF

Note: If your post processor already puts a % at the start and end of the program you don't need to fill that setting out.

Then just match the settings on the mill. To receive a file hit List, then highlight over ALL and hit Receive RS232. Optionally you can type the name of the program (always has to start with the letter o)and then hit Receive RS232. Go back to the computer and hit send. It should go to the mill and display "Serial rcv done"

When I set it up with cimco (post after mastercam) I changed the setting 14 (synchronization) on the mill to DC Codes. Then in the configuration in cimco I set it to Xon/Xoff and selected wait for Xon before sending. With that workflow you hit send on the computer and it waits until the mill is ready. Go to the mill and highlight ALL under the list programs menu. Then hit Receive RS232. At this point the computer should get a signal from the mill to send the file and then it should load onto the mill.

I can get pictures/screenshots for you tomorrow.

The attached picture is for reference of what setting screen you are looking for on the mill. The settings are not what I used in the end. serial settings.jpg

If you are using software control your 25-9 pin connector would only have Rx, Tx and ground. With this you have to set the PC buffer to Zero or the PC will overflow the machine buffer.
Better is RTS/CTS which has five wires. You have to change the flow control settings on both CNC and PC.

I use a 9-25 pin connected set up as a null modem.
I am using windows hyperterminal.
It has worked with all the same settings on my 2006 tm-2 and 2005 tl-1.

I swapped the cables on the inside of the electrical cabinet to rule out a bad ribbon cable.

I'll try a few of these setting recommendations this weekend, I just don't see why it works on the machines beside it. Maybe a little controller revision needing a little different setting.

I use a 9-25 pin connected set up as a null modem.
I am using windows hyperterminal.
It has worked with all the same settings on my 2006 tm-2 and 2005 tl-1.

I swapped the cables on the inside of the electrical cabinet to rule out a bad ribbon cable.

I'll try a few of these setting recommendations this weekend, I just don't see why it works on the machines beside it. Maybe a little controller revision needing a little different setting.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but ours has a floppy drive that I disconnected. It just made a lot of noise and the machine wouldn't load form it anyway.

get a moxa box from shop floor automation with cables and adaptors.
less effort and money than reading this thread.
_no affiliation_ just a fan

get a moxa box from shop floor automation with cables and adaptors.
less effort and money than reading this thread.
_no affiliation_ just a fan

I have personally used moxa boxes in the past. However, they are no less work than sending straight over rs232. You still have to configure the moxa box to the same settings as the mill and then set up the IP settings in your file transfer program. For machines far away from the computer, it is much easier to run an ethernet cable than find and run a long rs232 cable.

I have personally used moxa boxes in the past. However, they are no less work than sending straight over rs232. You still have to configure the moxa box to the same settings as the mill and then set up the IP settings in your file transfer program. For machines far away from the computer, it is much easier to run an ethernet cable than find and run a long rs232 cable.

as long as you have an old computer or like to play with your USB FIFO buffer:D

as long as you have an old computer or like to play with your USB FIFO buffer:D

True. At work I used moxa boxes because you can have multiple on a network easily. Most computers only have 2 rs232 port. But at school we just have a dedicated computer for it that happens to have rs232. Plus, not being a network admin, it would be a pain to get moxa set up on the school network.

I have connected my laptop to the TM1 at school via a USB to rs232 adapter and it worked fine. I actually got it working on that computer before I did on the school one. Apparently engineering students can't be trusted with any level of admin rights.

Back