What's new
What's new

Running Haas VF0-2 mills on single phase power

CNCAdam

Plastic
I was wanting to know if any one else has found the same way to run there Haas mills on single phase power with out the use of phase converters.

After studying the VF series electrical schematics I found by Hooking 240v single Phase to terminals L2 and L3 of the main Breaker. Moving the top wire from the 115v secondary T1 down to the bottom 115v Connection of secondary T1. Next I unplugged the heat ex-changer from the IOPCB and Plugged the 115V CRT power into the heat exchanger location on the IOPCB. Then I had to disable the Phase loss alarm from there it seems to run as if it was using three Phase power.

So a question for any one else who has tried this with the same success if there where any problems they experienced

Thanks Adam

Some of them are built with the option of using either single or 3 phase. If they aren't, I wouldn't be doing what you did. That's a great way to cook some expensive bits in the control cabinet. but hey, it's your machine... and Haas loves to sell replacement parts.

their TM series will run on single phase or 3, just by wire placement on the breaker.... I have not heard of anyone doing what you did.
I would be interested to see what happens in 6 months.
updates please. (along with age of your machine)

The most basic problem is that 4 diodes instead of 6 are doing all the work inside the VFD/motor control. All voltage is rectified through a 3 phase bridge. With three phase all 6 diodes do equal work the way I understand it. You might get by with it at moderate load.

Yes, Friesen your right.. There is a Power sacrifice with the spindle VFD when using single Phase power.
But the Brush Servo motors will not sacrifice any power because the Servos have always ran from the 115v secondary output connected the main transformer. The 115v is actually 55-65V when measured to ground. When measured between Phases it will be 115v +\-. so with this method there is no neutral conductor.

Adam

The simplest answer is to just get a inexpensive converter.

I have a shop without 3 phase and run two Haas VF-2's, a Hardinge CNC lathe, a Brother Wire EDM, an automatic saw, a manual lathe, a surface grinder, a vertical band-saw and a manual vertical mill off of two smaller phase convertors (20hp and a 30 hp.

Good luck---Mike

I guess I'm not doing a very good job convincing anyone that I have two Haas VF mills running Single phase without any phase converter.

Adam

I guess I'm not doing a very good job convincing anyone that I have two Haas VF mills running Single phase without any phase converter.

Adam
Hey Adam,

How has the single phase conversion worked for you? Do you have any further details to share now that some time has passed?

Back