What's new
What's new

Setting up my first HAAS and not sure what cable to buy

ColdPlate

Aluminum
I just got in my first CNC it is a 1998 VF-1. I got the electric run to it and im ready to start programming! I don't have the cable that im going to run from my comp to the machine and im not exactly sure what to buy. I can take a photo of the connecter and go to my local computer shop but what else do I need to know. What size cable for sure and also is there anything else that I should be asking for?

If you've got the manuals for the machine, there is a good diagram about the connections for the communication cable. Check it up and see if you can find it.

Normally the connection goes from a 9 pin serial port to a 25 pin plug on the machine's end. If you don't have the 9 pin serial port on your machine then you can get a USB to serial adapter which it's the most common way to do it on newer computers.

If you can't find the manuals let me know, I believe I might have a PDF on my files.

HTH.

The cable itself is a 4 to 6 wire cable with a shield around them inside, like tin foil. It is called an RS232 cable often. As mmtz mentioned, the plug on the machine wilkl be a 25 pin RS232 and on the computer side it will be a 9 pin RS232 plug.

The USB converter wires do work, but can be a little flaky. I finally bought a 9 pin communications board off of eBay and put it in the computer. Only about $10.00.

If you don't have your manual let me know and I can post the diagram for wiring them up. We'll get you going. :)

Mike

I just got in my first CNC it is a 1998 VF-1. I got the electric run to it and im ready to start programming! I don't have the cable that im going to run from my comp to the machine and im not exactly sure what to buy. I can take a photo of the connecter and go to my local computer shop but what else do I need to know. What size cable for sure and also is there anything else that I should be asking for?

The term Null Modem is a generic term and applies to any cable where the corresponding TX and RX lines are swapped. There are three basic Null Modem cable configurations:
1. Full Handshake
2. Software Handshake (Xon Xoff)
3. No Handshake

Most commonly a Software Handshake configuration is used and the pin out is as follows:

Machine Side ---------------------------- PC Side
DB25 Male ----------------------------- DB9 Female

1 ---- Shield Trace ------------------ Not Connected
2 ----------------------------------------- 2
3 ----------------------------------------- 3

| Bridged

|
8 All Bridged
|

7 ----------------------------------------- 5

As can be gleaned from the above, a cable having only three wires, plus a trace wire and shield is required. The Trace wire is a bare wire running the full length of the cable and in contact with the shield. The Shield, via the Trace wire, should only be connected at the control side. Connecting the Shield at both ends may result in a Ground Loop if the machine and PC don't share the same Protective Ground, or if either is not Grounded well.

The Settings at the Machine and the PC must match. The protocol to use for Xon Xoff and XModem Handshaking are as follows:

Machine Control Settings for Xon Xoff Handshaking
11 Baud Rate (9600) - Starting Point
12 Parity (Even)
13 Stop Bits (1)
14 Synchronization Xon/Xoff
24 Leader to Punch (None)
25 EOB Pattern (CR LF)
37 Number Data Bits (7)

Machine Control Settings for XModem Communication
11 Baud Rate Select: 19200
12 Parity Select: NONE
13 Stop Bits:1
14 Synchronization: XMODEM
37 RS-232 Data Bits: 8

Either Protocol can be used; however, XModem is recommended for DNC applications. A Check Sum is done and if the sent and received data don't agree, the control will halt, avoiding a crash if the dropped character happened to be part of a coordinate.

The settings at the PC have to match those of the control.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
If you can't find the manuals let me know, I believe I might have a PDF on my files.

HTH.

I didn't receive any manuals with the machine so any pdfs you have would be much appreciated!

When I got my first Haas many years ago, I called up these guys, told them what I needed, and the big brown truck showed up a couple days later with my cable.

RS-232 Serial Cables | Black Box

I will def call these guys when I order the cable, thank you!

Ok, not trying to take away the usefulness of Black Box Co, in my previous life I ( we) have spent many tens of thousands of dollars with them for all kinds of unique interfaces.

The Haas is not one of them!
It is as plain vanilla as it gets.

1: You need an RS232 cable. Haas needs a 25 pin on the machine end, the PC end depends on the connector on the PC, either 9 or 25 ( Radio Shack or local computer co)
2: You need a null modem adapter. I prefer to put it on the machine's side as it is out of the way, so get a 25 pin null modem. ( Radio Shack or local computer co)
3: You need a serial comm program. Hyperterminal works, but is a real garbage. I'd suggest TeraTerm.
4: Set your protocol to what Bill ( Angelw ) suggested in option 2, using Xmodem as the protocol. Make sure both sides match the settings.

For what it's worth, the Haas's handling of the serial port is one of - if not the most - reliable I have ever worked with.
Depending on the cable length you need, the above components will set you back anywhere from $20-$100 and you're up and running in minutes.

3: You need a serial comm program. Hyperterminal works, but is a real garbage. I'd suggest TeraTerm.

I wasn't aware of this do I just download tera term to my computer before I plug in the cable and send any programs?

Go to the Haas website and just download them!

My machine is a 1998 and the HAAS website manuals only goes back to 2000, is there somewhere to get the older manuals?

I wasn't aware of this do I just download tera term to my computer before I plug in the cable and send any programs?

In short, yes.
Download TeraTerm, install it ( not much of it, it will just put itself into a directory plus a shortcut ), then run it.

Once inside, set the parameters as above, set the appropriate COM port, then you're set.

To send: File->Transfer->Xmodem->Send
To receive: File->Transfer->Xmodem->receive.

I have a 1992 VF0. I use Hyperterminal set per the manual on a scavenged null modem cable and usb adapter on a MacBook pro running windows no less, no issues at all.

My machine is a 1998 and the HAAS website manuals only goes back to 2000, is there somewhere to get the older manuals?

My guess is not a whole lot has changed...and I really doubt they changed anything about the RS232 connection.

Yeah, until the really new machines, not much has changed and the manuals cover several models of the VF series too.

Mike

If the external device being used to Send/Receive programs is a Laptop, chances are it won't have a physical Serial Port. That being so, a USB to Serial adapter can be used, but are often problematical if the Operating System is Win7 and above, installed as a 64 bit OS. If your OS falls in to that category, its important that you get the correct driver for the 64 OS. When Win 7 was first released, there were no USB to Serial adapters that worked, and even now, you have to be selective. A more robust solution is to get a Serial card for the Laptop.

Regards,

Bill

Back