What's new
What's new

Slab Thickness for a VF-22?

riabma77

Hot Rolled
Hello,
I'm looking to move to a new shop and the foundation is only 4"
The pre-installation guide from Haas recommends 6" for all the machines (from a Mini to a VF12).
I want to believe that 6" for a Mini or small frame VF is excessive. Do you think 4" for a VF-2 is okay?
Just want to be sure before moving forward, so any comments are appreciated.
Thanks!

There are probably thousands of VF2's on 4" of concrete.

What really matters is what's under the concrete.

What really matters is what's under the concrete.

I agree. Right now the shop I'm renting it has 6" slab, and the foundation 'moves' a lot. It's built over red clay, and after heavy rain, or after several days of extreme heat, you can notice it. I have to level the machine at least once a month.

The only problem you may have is it will never settle down and stay level/ square.

It's an old building, so it probably already settled down. The building is long and portioned in 4 units (like condominiums). The center is 4" but the footers are 6".

Last space I rented, the concrete was about 4" (I drilled an inconspicuous hole to confirm).
I had two VF2ss's side by side.
If I was doing a set-up in one, while the other was jammin, I could often see the needle in the Haimer 3-D taster jump around a little bit.
Never did one move, or go out of level. But, it was annoying.
We have probably some of the best substrate to pour concrete on here in AZ though.
I am on 6" of 3000psi now, and it is noticeably better. Every once in a while you feel something in the floor through your feet.
But, I have not seen the Haimer needle move when it wasn't supposed to yet.

Hello,
I'm looking to move to a new shop and the foundation is only 4"
The pre-installation guide from Haas recommends 6" for all the machines (from a Mini to a VF12).
I want to believe that 6" for a Mini or small frame VF is excessive. Do you think 4" for a VF-2 is okay?
Just want to be sure before moving forward, so any comments are appreciated.
Thanks!

If the machine does not need be level say like a long lathe, grinder etc I wouldn't worry. 6" is not much when it comes to concrete, it's basically nothing. 4" is slightly less than nothing. The important bit is how hard is the stuff underneath and how much it moves. Ideally, you dig around a meter deep and put everything back well compacted, slightly damp and mixed with cement dust. Then you poor a slab as thick as your pocket allows with the rebar in the right places.

If you buy a 1"-2" thick piece of plate (Maybe used road plate)
And set the machine on this, you can take it with you when
you move.

Back