What's new

Someone with a VF2; I need a measurement please

• Thread starter FK
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2,818

FK

Aluminum
I'm building a fixture for a VF2 that is not here yet. The machine dimensions on the site are not clear to me. It looks like the number I'm after is 0, which cant be. Would someone who has a VF2 please tell me the distance from the back of the table to the face of the z axis way cover when Y is full negative. Basically, I need to know how long of a fixture I can have. So, how far from the center of the table to the z axis cover do I have? 8.5" I hope (Will a 17" plate fit if the center of the plate is on center of travel?)

I just checked on mine, only roughly with a tape measure since I've got machine problems now. I've got vises that have about a 1/4" gap between them and the way cover brackets. From the center T-slot to the edge of the vise is about 8 1/4" so it will be close. Mind you, this is on a 1999 model, I don't know if the newer ones have the same clearance.

Does the fixture need to be 17"? .5" of the fixture will be sticking past the spindle centerline.

thanks for checking. This will be a new machine so it very well could be different. It don't NEED to be 17" but it would sure make my life easier. I just can not believe they don't have any clearance. So a couple of chips could do some damage back there?

When the table in is the full negative position (toward the back of the machine) there is almost no room at all between the table and the guards. It is about .25" or so or less. If you intend to move the table to the rear all the way, your fixture can stick out only about .25" MAX.

Remember that the table is only 14" wide , but you have a 20.25"((corrected to 16.25")) of travel. You can machine off of the back and the front of the table and that does come in handy at times. The safe distance from the center of the middle slot to the rear is 7". After that, if you go all the way back you will hit the guard.

Let me know if you need any further measurements, I have two VF-2s on the floor.

Mike

Just for your information, I said 20.25" and meant 16.25" travel in Y axis. An inch or so off of the table on each side.

Mike

Again, thanks for running out and measuring for me. I know it will be close.

Mike, I was wondering about the 20.25. Glad you clarified. I know the table is only 14.5 wide, then there is about .5" of extra table on each side. That is why is difficult to ask Haas and others about the clearance back there. Tough to say what I 'm asking. Not just the table clearance because the table is not full size.

When Y is fill negative or (-8" from center of stroke) the table is all the way back, How far is it from the center of the center T slot to hitting the Z axis way cover? All my other machines have a much better description in the books aboout this. However, they don't have it online like Haas so it still wouldn't help in this situation.

Again, thanks for running out and measuring for me. I know it will be close.

Mike, I was wondering about the 20.25. Glad you clarified. I know the table is only 14.5 wide, then there is about .5" of extra table on each side. That is why is difficult to ask Haas and others about the clearance back there. Tough to say what I 'm asking. Not just the table clearance because the table is not full size.

When Y is fill negative or (-8" from center of stroke) the table is all the way back, How far is it from the center of the center T slot to hitting the Z axis way cover? All my other machines have a much better description in the books about this. However, they don't have it online like Haas so it still wouldn't help in this situation.

To clarify, the table (mine at least) is 14" wide. As I said before, when the table is full to the rear there is 7 inches from the center of the center slot to the guard rails (plus may 1/4") You can't measure to the actual plates as they are further back, maybe another .25" but you can't use that space as you may hit the rails if you move in the X axis.

I don't know the layout of your fixture, but always offset to the front where there is a lot of clearance within the machine itself for vises etc., see pic.

Mike

Attachments

• vf-2.jpg
    vf-2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 183
If nobody gets to it, i'll check on our new one tomorrow. I cranked it back, got side tracked and forgot to measure. Dont quote me but i was seeing about an inch. The new z guard is totally different from mikes, its almost flush with the back wall.

Thanks Kapster. I look forward to it. I see the new ones are different looking after seeing Mikes picture. It is also possible they changed how the center of stroke is to the center of table. As Mike has stated, he has 7" from center of table to way cover. These machines have 16" of travel do there should be minimum of 8" you would think. Which is why you put everything to the front.

The part I want to run has holes 15.99" apart. The fixture is 17" long in Y direction. I can skinny it up a fuzz but not much. That is why I'm hoping it has 8.5001" from center of travel to the way cover. If not, I'll have to figure a different way and get going on it before it arrives.

Our table is 14.5 wide, 15.75 to the sheet metal covers on front and back of the table. With table all the way back, its 8.25 from center t slot to z way cover with the z head all the way down, z home its 8.5( the z cover sticks out more as the z comes down)

From the front edge of the table to the door at y home is 7.75 at table surface, but the door is taper inward so that number would decrease as your part gets taller.

Hope that all makes sense.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415143351.098555.jpg

Our table is 14.5 wide, 15.75 to the sheet metal covers on front and back of the table. With table all the way back, its 8.25 from center t slot to z way cover with the z head all the way down, z home its 8.5( the z cover sticks out more as the z comes down)

From the front edge of the table to the door at y home is 7.75 at table surface, but the door is taper inward so that number would decrease as your part gets taller.

Hope that all makes sense.
View attachment 121087

Per Haas website, your table is also 14" wide in Y axis. Are you measuring that cover in the rear (scale cover maybe?)?

Mike

Like i said The table is 14.5, to those stainless covers (front and back) its 15.75. Wonder if they recently changed it? There is alot different on it that the website doesnt show.

I ordered 5/8 vise keys and the table is supposed to be 5/8. Its .632, closer to 16mm. Is that common?

Thank you very much for doing this. I'm glad I wasn't the only one with issues on their website. I was hesitant on asking because I figure someone would point something out on the website and I'd feel stupid. It just isn't clear. I know I was close so needed confirmation from an actual user. Haas simply says 8". Well, with 16" of travel, you know it has to be a little more for clearance. I need 8.5 so normally I would think it would be fine. All our other machines have a couple inches back there.

Looks like I will have to change my plan. This fixture is right down on the table so it sounds like 8.25 is all I will have. As stated, I need 8.5. No big deal, at least I know now so I can get things ready before it arrives. Just would have been nice.

FK,
The distance between the Z-axis way cover and table is 3/8”. The total table distance is 15-3/4” including the sheet metal cover on the side. This will give you a total of 8.25” from the back way cover to the center of the table. The table itself is 14.5” this is how the new machines are being build today. If you need anything else please let me know.

H-Tech

No problem at all.

So what you really need to know is if the center t slot is really center of travel? Im not so sure it is but i will check tonight, i work second shift.

Oh i forgot to mention, our y travel is actually 16.1, so your going to have to have that thing dead centered on y travel.

Sure you dont want a vf2yt?

Yes, I should be certain the center T slot is the center of travel. Shame on me, I assumed it was based off Haas drawings. I may be able to do what Mike said and offset it to the front a pinch. I only need 15.99 of travel to get the two holes drilled.

As for the YT, I prefer not to get into what I want. I learned its best to focus on how to use what I get.

Ok, table is not centered on y travel. I indicated the center t slot. Y+8.309 ( table towards front, spindle over back edge of table). Y-7.791( table to rear, spindle over front edge).

It may be safer to see what yours is when it comes in, who knows what could happen but this is what ours is and should get you close.

Back