What's new
What's new

Spindle belt tention, VF series with gear box

viper

Titanium
We are still fighting some vibration and noise issues with a machine and before we get carried away, want to play with belt tension a bit. Anyone with experience, these belts are VERY difficult to quantify belt tension because you cannot really get to them. Probably a tool that bolts where the drawbar valve plate goes and cranks it down. Should these belts be relatively tight or what? Any play/force at center of belt measurements? Anyone winging it without issue?

We had some noise in the trans that sounded like ball skid. Belts were loose. Now kind of wondering if we need a decent about of tension to get load on the trans bearings or what? Are sloppy belts known to be a vibration issue in these?

When I install them I push the belts tight then slightly slacken them. I would shy away from getting them too tight.

I have been away for a few days, so not sure where you stand with the belt issue.

For non gearbox machines, the motor plate is usually slotted; I take out the slack and push a little further with medium force (for me) and tighten bolts. To much and the high pitch whine will be ear piercing!

For gearbox machines, there is very little play in the bolt holes, so once again, push on motor assy to get as much tension as I can get and tighten.

FYI - Every machine will sound different and the same machine will sound different with new belts.

Back