What's new
What's new

New shop, how much concrete base for VF3?

Armedsask

Aluminum
Alright guys, it's looking more and more like the dream of running my own shop is coming true. Location has always been a problem but the answer is at hand! There is a new building going up, likely this fall, and I've been offered a portion of it to rent out. I'll be starting off with a 55' x 25' area with the option to expand into another 55' x 25' bay as the business grows.

I'll be splitting up the 55' x 25' foot area to allow for an office and small store front to also sell fasteners and other such items (bearings, chains, etc.) to serve the local agriculture and oilfield industry. The next closest place to get such items is 20 miles as the crow flies, even further for out of town customers. The office/store area will be 20' x 25', still leaving me a 35' x 25' shop area. Not huge, but should work good as a start up.

Anyway, I'm rambling on about stuff that doesn't matter to the question at hand. I was asked what I would need for concrete. The plan run now is to lay a standard 6" to 8" slab as the building is primarily for highway trucks to park and be services. Is that going to be sufficient to support a Haas VF3?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alright guys, it's looking more and more like the dream of running my own shop is coming true. Location has always been a problem but the answer is at hand! There is a new building going up, likely this fall, and I've been offered a portion of it to rent out. I'll be starting off with a 55' x 25' area with the option to expand into another 55' x 25' bay as the business grows.

I'll be splitting up the 55' x 25' foot area to allow for an office and small store front to also sell fasteners and other such items (bearings, chains, etc.) to serve the local agriculture and oilfield industry. The next closest place to get such items is 20 miles as the crow flies, even further for out of town customers. The office/store area will be 20' x 25', still leaving me a 35' x 25' shop area. Not huge, but should work good as a start up.

Anyway, I'm rambling on about stuff that doesn't matter to the question at hand. I was asked what I would need for concrete. The plan run now is to lay a standard 6" to 8" slab as the building is primarily for highway trucks to park and be services. Is that going to be sufficient to support a Haas VF3?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Congratulations!!!!!

That much concrete is real overkill for that machine, but at least you won't need to worry. I don't know what my current shop is, but my last was only 4 inches and had a VF-1 and a VF-4 side by side.

Don't sweat it, your good.

Mike

If your subgrade is prepared properly, and standard rebar and a proper concrete mix is used (say 3500psi with #4 rebar every 16", but consult an engineer!), a 6-8" slab will handle a 60 ton main battle tank driving on it. A 6 to 8 ton (depending on VF3 options) static load is nothing by comparison.

On the other hand, if they pour 1500 psi mix over sand or clay with #2 rebar every 36", you will weep blood and money until you die or set the place on fire in a fit of insane rage.

At about 6" slab thickness, the quality of the subgrade preparation starts to dominate the load carrying capacity of the slab. Just adding more concrete doesn't add significantly more strength. Don't skimp on subgrade prep.

If you care about nuisance cracking, you might add chopped fiber to the mix, too. It supplements rebar, but does not replace it.

Do have proper expansion/contraction joints put in. Contraction joints as close as every 10 feet. Expansion/control joints about every 40 feet (preferably along or near heated/unheated boundaries).

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick input guys! I figured the standard concrete floor was going to be good. I was thinking worse case scenario I'd just jack hammer up a square and pore a thicker slab for the Haas.

I'll be sure to document the shop's birth in the forums.

Worrying (sp?) about the floor under the machine is the least of your issues.

The floor between the door and the machines resting spot "where the forktruck runs" is WAY more concern!

Still, 6-8 should be fine.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Foundation Requirements
Machines must be set on a solid, sound and stable, steel bar-reinforced concrete slab poured directly on the grade. In general, the 6" (152mm) concrete floor of industrial buildings is suitable for machine placement.
Before the machine arrives it will be necessary to have the foundation poured and fully cured. It may also be necessary to install the anchors. Refer to the anchoring instructions, Haas document # ES-0095, for details.
For HS 3-7(including R), EC-1600-3000, VS, VR, and GR series machines, when cutting metal, anchor holes must be drilled and set before machine arrives. Tool changer anchor holes must be drilled before the machine is set in place. However, do not pour epoxy for the tool changer until the tool changer is in place. Anchoring all other machines is optional. If opting for optional anchoring, contact the Haas Service Department (800-331-6746) prior to machine delivery for foundation requirements, the correct anchoring kit (if not included with the machine) and complete anchoring instructions.

Avoid placing the machine across two different slabs; they may shift and affect the geometry of the machine. Avoid slabs with vibrating machinery nearby; the vibration may affect performance. Do not place the machine on unstable surfaces such as asphalt, brick, wood or dirt.
Check with your building engineer if you are placing the machine on floors other than the ground level.

Don't forget to take samples of the re-bar and the concrete for lab testing and have inspectors on site!!!

God I miss the old days!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a serious note though, when you get your machine in place, drill a hole in that new slab and get your 6-8' long copper grounding rod and ground that machine.

Mike

I've had a lot of concrete poured for me over the last 30 years and I'm feel that the fiberglass mesh is worth it's cost. I'd never pour a slab without it. Also saw cutting every 10-12 feet to give it a place crack, because there's two types of slabs, the one thats cracked and the one's thats
going to crack.

Back