What's new
What's new

SS vs M series vertical mills

BSCustoms

Cast Iron
I am in research phase shopping around various machines and various companies. I will likely be getting something in the VF2/VF3 size foot print.

A question I thought of that I do not recall hearing or reading. Does the Super Speed series give up the ability for fine finishing of 3D surfaces? I know it is substantially faster with rapids, tool change and spindle speed. But one of the products I intend to dedicate to this machine will have quite a bit of surfacing work so I can live with a slower machine if the SS wont do what I need. Ultimately I will likely take the part to my HFO to have it run in an SS and an M.

Thank you.

SS runs a more aggresive ball screw pitch. If you are serious about doing 3d then I would lean towards the M series. If you do a lot of production/aluminum then SS is the ticket.

well the SS is faster rapids I think in the short moves a standard mill would be faster.... I have found the Doosan DNM5700 to be a lot faster at short moves than the SS... well the Fanuc control is not as friendly as the older haas control the mill its self is better.

As a owner that has spent a lot of time in front vf2ss and vf4ss machines there not the same mills ... the vf2ss is a better machine if your parts can fit on it ,,, FYI the vf3ss and vf4ss are the same machine just X is 10" longer is all.. even the sheet metal is the same.

Word has it that 2015-2017 models have a really good resolution. The courser pitch ball screws with a super fine resolution unlike the earlier SS series. It looks the the newer SS series is a really good machine. I have to step back a little and give a proper pat on the back to Haas. It looks like the 12K rpm spindle got a better torque curve and the machines got beefier. I dont think a Doosan can compete with them personally.

Back