What's new
What's new

Swapping from CT50 to BT50 on a haas spindle

IAMATT

Stainless
Is it just the drawbar difference on these machines like a lot of others or do you have to change the drive tangs.

Is it just the drawbar difference on these machines like a lot of others or do you have to change the drive tangs.

You should be able to find a pull stud that can be used with the BT tooling without having to make any change to the draw bar. The tool change flanges of the respective tool holder types are different; accordingly, you have to replace the gripping device of the tool change mechanism to accommodate the different dimensions of the BT tooling tool change flange. I've done many conversions of machines set up for CAT tooling brought from the US to Australia, where the predominate tool type is BT; its not all that difficult.

For what purpose are you changing to BT tooling? It was my understanding that CAT tooling is common in the US.

Regards,

Bill

What I found is haas uses just one type of pull stud

If like the Cat 40, the studs are the same except for the threads, to accommodate the metric tool holder. The only other difference I believe is the retaining fingers in the carousel. No change in drawbar or spindle.

The question is though, why change? BT tooling is more expensive and harder to find. You will also have to change out all of the fingers on the carousel. Su, unless you have dozens pf BT tool holders laying around and no CT, I would not change.

Mike

Back