What's new
What's new

Tapping on Haas

fraserjim

Plastic
I Have a component i need to tap 200 holes in
M3 x 15mm Deep

My old VF0 is the only machine that can repeat(peck) tap without any extra XY moves

the newer machines need an extra X or Y move and another depth eg

T1 M6
G0 G90 G54 X123. Y123. S1000 M3
G43 H1 Z2. M8
G84 G98 R2. Z-5.F500.
X125. Z-10.
X125. Z-15.
G80 Z2.
etc repeat 600 times

Is there a peck tapping cycle or have Haas forgotten to include it in their latest machines
jim

i dont think ive ever seen a peck tap cycle.
are you using ridged holders?
does the spindle orient ench time?

#2 03-07-2008, 03:25 PM
learning 1
Plastic Join Date: Dec 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i dont think ive ever seen a peck tap cycle.
are you using ridged holders?
does the spindle orient ench time?

Yes i use rigid tapping my 1993 model VF0 can do it
newer models cant

Well yes, it can but not as you'd expect.
If setting 133 is set to ON, then the spindle properly orient to accomodate successive deeper programming of the same hole.

IOW there is no Q-equivalent in the G84 cycle, so you cannot set a peck-depth. What you can do is to program 2 or more G84 cycles in succession, each with it's own depth. In order to do that though, you need to make sure that the spindle is oriented identically at each cycle, which is what the setting allows.

This may seem a PITA at first, but remember you can always use an M97 call to a tapping subroutine at each hole, so you only have to type in 2 G84 blocks.

On that note though, it does seem a little retarded from Haas. If thay have implemented the J in the G84 cycle for reverse speed, they could have implemented a Q and K for instance to signal a repeated tap cycle too.

But I digress.....

I would have to assume you want to peck at the tap in order to remove chips and avoid tap failure, yes? Why not roll the thread? You get a stronger thread as a result, and you can run at higher speeds (thread rolling requires it). As long as you use the correct drill size and have a straight hole, they work great. Drills for thread rolling are considerably larger than tap drills. The best thing about them is that you don't have to worry about broken taps from chips getting caught. And since you have 600 holes to do, I would bet that rolling them would cut your run time by 25 to 30%. I recently did a bunch of 0-80 holes and the tap just would not get it done. Thread rolling solved all the problems. I think I'll be doing it on anything smaller than a #4 from now on.

HTH,
Dan

I second the thread rollin, if i had my way i would roll everything. you get a stronger thread. you can tap much faster. and your far less likely to break a tap weather tapping shallow or deep. peck tapping on Haas is a PITA the best way is to sub call a change in the z depth. ive noticed that Fanuc has started adding peck tap on there controls. the last 21m i ran had Q value on G84. the nicest peck tapping ive seen though was on a mazak. that thing sounded like a jet engine when tapping " but im not a mazak fan ".

I would have to assume you want to peck at the tap in order to remove chips and avoid tap failure, yes? Why not roll the thread? You get a stronger thread as a result, and you can run at higher speeds (thread rolling requires it). As long as you use the correct drill size and have a straight hole, they work great. Drills for thread rolling are considerably larger than tap drills. The best thing about them is that you don't have to worry about broken taps from chips getting caught. And since you have 600 holes to do, I would bet that rolling them would cut your run time by 25 to 30%. I recently did a bunch of 0-80 holes and the tap just would not get it done. Thread rolling solved all the problems. I think I'll be doing it on anything smaller than a #4 from now on.

HTH,
Dan

How is thread rolling (tapping a hole) done on a cnc?

Wow, old thread.

Anyhow, you use what's called a roll tap or form tap. It uses a bigger tap drill and is sensitve to drilled hole size. Program the same as a cutting tap.

Old VF-0 Repeat Tapping?

My old VF0 is the only machine that can repeat(peck) tap without any extra XY moves

jim

My 93 Haas VF-0 doesnt seem to have the repeat tapping setting (133), the highest number on my settings pages seems to be like 77. How do you have repeat tapping on yours? Newer machine than mine? Newer control?

Your machine needs to have rigid tapping. If you are using compression/tension tap holders it most like does not.

I second the use of Form Taps. I always used these taps for threading. Thousands of holes and never had a problem. Don't need thread peck. Just rigid tapping. Hahnreiter is the brand I use. You must have the matching drill which is sometimes a bit tricky to source as it will be some odd dimension sometimes(at least for metric) so I source Garr or YG-1 drills. No chips. Stronger threads as the threads are made by cold forming them into the thread cavities. My application is aluminium usually - 6061 or 5083. You do need the right tap for the right material - which the catalog tells you.

Back