What's new
What's new

TL3 runout

jbifs

Aluminum
I recently did a run of chamfering 8" SCH 40 pipe. Jaws were flipped around and was only clamping 1" so I took very light cuts but had one come out of the jaws, which bumped my toolpost out of whack. I just reindicated the toolpost, but now I have runout. About .003" over 12" using tailstock, where before it would be .0005" at most.(tailstock wasn't being used during crash) I also turned 3" dia stock 6" and have around .0025 runout, so my runout is not coming from the tailstock which leads me to the spindle being out of whack.

What procedures can I check to see exactly where my runout is coming from?

Machine is a 2015 TL3

thanks,
Josh

I am guessing you mean your part is measuring a taper, bigger on one end than the other?

If so you have moved your headstock.

There are right ways and wrong ways to realign your headstock and if you are good with a wrench you can do it, its not that hard.

I have NO idea how your HAAS is but my 2012 SL model is has adjustment screw at the base of the headstock you use to jack the head around, be careful though
because your headstock may be on a wedge and if you aren't careful you will get it lined up but will be at a different position on the wedge throwing off the centerline.
Again, yours may be different but pretty much the same steps in getting it back right.

Chuck something round and dead straight, a length of TGP about 3" OD by 16" long would be nice.
Have shaft running dead true at both ends no "run out"

Loosen headstock bolts with a torque wrench, you may get lucky and it will spring back to location.
If not use the jacking screws (assuming yours has them) until an indicator reads "0" from one end to the other, top and side readings.
Re torque and go back to making chips.

I THOUGHT I fixed my runout problem. Had .0026 difference over 6". (taper) Got it down to .0002" The TM3 only has 4 bolts which hold the headstock to the bed. NO jacking screws which I think is a horrible design. I couldn't even budge it with all 4 loose and whacking it with a rubber mallet. I ended up chucking up a 20" piece of 2.25" TGP and used that as leverage and got lucky. Or so I thought....

I went to reindicate the tailstock(which was not part of the crash) and now the headstock is .020" difference from the top to bottom of the live center(also checked with drill chuck and ground pin) This is with magnet attached to chuck jaws. I stuck a 30" piece of TGP and sure enough, I am .010" higher 20" away from the chuck.

I called the HFO and the tech thought the actual spindle got out of whack. I have never disassembled one so I don't know exactly how they work. Would this even be possible? I wish I checked the runout this way beforehand, but I am hoping this is from the crappy headstock attachment design. The (2) rear bolts(furthest away from chuck) are shimmed with a 1/4" plate.

I sweeped the TPG closest to the jaws and had approx. .003 runout. Also sweeped the chuck and had .003. High point of chuck is coencentric to the shaft.

thoughts?

Wow, no jacking screws...that blows.

Even though your getting taper, is the part round or is it egged?

Sure that the head stock isn't setting on a wedge?
You probably didn't move the head stock enough even if it was on a wedge?

I ask because if I remember correctly, my ST is on a wedge but it also has these little metal tabs you slide back to get to set screws that move the head stock.

I have only had to align it back up once and it was from a similar wreck.
Part came out and got drop kicked into the turret by a chuck jaw...yep, F'ed it up good but I was able to get it back into spec. Only cost me a day and a half
of my labor and production.

Would a tech knowing what he is doing been in and out in half the time? Who knows, its a crap shoot these days if you get a good tech or one on OJT on YOUR dime.

Good luck with it, I know your pain.

Until its repaired you can program out taper but if theres something going on with the spindle itself I would be real inclined to have a tech look it over.
Bird dog him so when it happens again, and it will, you will be able to fix it yourself.

here is a diagram.

http://diy.haascnc.com/sites/default/files/exploded_view_diagrams/tl-3spindleassy1800rpmmay-2008.pdf

It just looked like a shim, not a wedge.

The machined part did have any runout, but .003" non coencentric with raw stock.(3 jaw) I did my test cut was approx. .010 smaller than before adjusting the headstock, meaning my tool offset was moved .005 by moving the spindle centerline whichever way

This particular tech I talked to was not very familiar with TL's, but typically our HFO has very good techs.

I don't notice any noise/spindle load difference, but I did notice some when I used the tailstock last week, but wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Hopefully someone can chime in on how the actual spindle works.

I am a one man operation for our machining and would much rather get to know these machines inside and out vs. having to make service calls

Update:

I had a haas tech come today. We took the chuck off and put the drawbar and the spindle/headstock was within spec. In fact, there was zero runout on the side, factory was .0003. Assuming this was fixed when I moved the headstock myself.

As I mentioned, the chuck had about .003 runout. This was the issue. We reindicated the adapter plate to .0002 and chuck to .0001. After the test cut, there was ZERO taper at 6" on a .010 deep cut.

The tech also said the spindle's on the lathes are much more rigid than the mills, so next time I would assume the spindle itself is the last thing on my list to cause runout/taper

Back