What's new
What's new

Tooling packages time. We have 3 tooling packages: Choices of Kennemetal or Sandvik

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Ho everyone. Getting close to the holidays. The used 98 VF/4 my Son and I are rebuilding is nearly ready to start basic Haas control work while we learn. (We do run 3 axis SuperMax 30 taper with a year of basic CNC,CAD CAM behind us).
The CAD/CAM we use is both Fusion 360 and Solidworks.

We bought 3 tooling packages at a 50% discount with the used Haas. ('well see if that is real or not later).
Can use either Kmetal or Sandvik.

Materials we get into: Alum, 6061, Steel, 1036, 4041, maybe some annealed 1045/1095, Stainless for sure due to some requests.

I am not asking for a KM -vs- SK post here. What I am wondering is which tooling they are best known for? Sandvik catalog is HUGE. Seems more insert based products? I do not even know where to start?
Kennemtal's site seems smaller but I may not be in the right places?

Thinking Kennemetal for some face milling basics. possibly some rigid tapping solutions.
Sandvik for index insert solutions? Milling threading cutters, Various hole and indexed end-mill type items?

The Reps come out, introduce the lines, and then write us up for the $1.5K in product.

Just wondering what ya'll may think about these two players. TIA for any thoughts and opinions.

Depends a lot on what they are offering in heir packages and how they apply to the kind of work you do. If you are doing a lot of drilling and tapping, you need a good set of tool holders with a solid and versatile collet system. For facing and insert tools, there are a huge variety of these. I would look at which ones are more well suited to the materials you will be cutting. Maybe have one set up for cutting aluminum and another for ferrous.

I have only used Kennametal and Sandvik insert tooling, so I have no opinion on thier solid carbide stuff.

I like Kennametal for insert drills. Affordable and hold up really well.

I like sandvik for facemills and insert endmills.

If you have the option, I would look for insert tools that use a standard geometry. Being able to mix and match insert brands is a huge advantage.

Just my opinion, but there's no reason to throw tier 1 tooling at a tier 3 machine that's 20 years old. I think you'd be much better served to get your money back and buy some used tooling, or some good quality but lesser known brands like Sumitomo or Korloy. Get some tool holders and collets from Maritool. Pick up some variable flute solid carbide from him too.

Price out your tooling packages from other sources before going Gung Ho buying. 50% off list on some items can still be quite expensive.

Sandvik and Kennametal make some good product...

For me the name of the game is versatility when possible. Then buy specific tools for specific needs. Learning what suppliers will break an insert pack and who stocks what makes a big difference when you need to order inserts for your tools.

I did one tooling package with my 1st machine...I still have a few unused holders and several packages of inserts on the shelf after 20 years...so much for a good deal.

Just my opinion, but there's no reason to throw tier 1 tooling at a tier 3 machine that's 20 years old. I think you'd be much better served to get your money back and buy some used tooling, or some good quality but lesser known brands like Sumitomo or Korloy. Get some tool holders and collets from Maritool. Pick up some variable flute solid carbide from him too.

Seconded.

Especially if you have the time to rebuild a machine, you have time to shop for some used tooling to save some money.

Don't take that the wrong way - it's just that you will pay a premium for premium tooling, and generally speaking, in my experience, the only guys who see a return on the extra money spent for premium tooling are the guys pushing it to the limit 18-20 hours a day in proven programs. If you're doing small runs, and especially if you're doing onesey-twosey stuff, I don't think you'll ever see a return on your money from premium tooling. It's more likely to break from a crash, or get trashed/dulled by an unproven program, than wear out from sustained use in a stable program.

I agree what the others said. Go with basics for start. You cannot go wrong with Maritool not that the others are't excellent tools. IMO a 3" face mill, ER-16 & or 20 collets and quality solid carbide end mills are best bang for your dollar. I have seen too much old stock inserts from tool holder of the month sitting around with damaged holders in my lifetime.

But that's just my experiance.

yeah... that makes sense too. You're in a room and they toss out the $1500 in tooling for I think $800. I know how FAST it will be to blow the $1500 w/ the big guys. Seemed like a no-brainer at the time. The advice is really well received. I'll probably end up spending on drill and tap and a facemill w/ an easy to find insert (as mneuro noted). . . We'll get there. So new, so much to learn. Definitly a big jump from a SuperMax CNC standalone machine.

....we're like that War Games movie, the scene where they are sipping cola's and the computerscreens are flashing data all over, missles are flying, Things are going buzz and ding... and someone notes they have no clue what's going on but ... WHAT A BLAST! Showing the Son to learn by doing. He's on his way at 20. Very proud Dad!

Back