What's new
What's new

Turning using G41

dlest44

Plastic
Hello, I have a Haas SL-20. I'm having trouble with G41. After I touch off in X using "X Diameter Measure", then use MDI to re-cut to make sure I'm cutting to the correct diameter. I run the program and my tool is way too high? I have to drop X down close to 0.060" before it touches. I'm using a 331 finishing tool. With a 0.008" in the tool offset. When I take out the G41 the program cuts to the correct diameter, but doesn't cut the chamfers or radius.

Thanks
D-lest

Bit more info would be helpful, but a few questions:
Why do you have .008 in for a 331 insert? It should be .0156
Is it a boring bar or OD tool?
What is the tip direction in the control?
Which direction are you turning to?
When you touch-off and hit "X dia measur", do you actually measure the diameter and enter the value you've measured?

Being .06 off means you've messed up somewhere along the line.
I can see .008 or .016 based on what you wrote, .06 OTOH doesn't jive.

Sorry, it is 0.0156. Turning OD. Tool Tip is at 2. I'm mostly cutting from spindle to face, but depending on the burr and finish I'll change directions. I use a mic to enter in value in "X dia Measure" and then mic it again until perfect. I'm not sure what the "Tip Direction in Control is?" DO you know the parameter number?

Sorry, it is 0.0156. Turning OD. Tool Tip is at 2. I'm mostly cutting from spindle to face, but depending on the burr and finish I'll change directions. I use a mic to enter in value in "X dia Measure" and then mic it again until perfect. I'm not sure what the "Tip Direction in Control is?" DO you know the parameter number?

It isn't a parameter. It's a field in the tool's geometry field.
You've got X, Z, Radius, Taper and Direction column.
For typical OD turning, it should be 3.

And now it almost makes sense.
If the direction is incorrect, the machine will put the tip on the wrong side - in this case 2x .0156=.0312 - and then you will have a .063 overcut.

Thanks,Seymour. I had an incorrect tool tip direction. It was programmed with a canned cycle to the print geometry. I get it now. The tool tip and radius are used to change out insert without changing program.

Back