What's new
What's new

Upgrading 2001 CRT VF3 to newest controller

colby

Aluminum
I'm sure some people here will think I'm crazy, but I'm looking into what it might take to update my older machine to a newer control system and display. The machine is working fine as-is but we would like be able to see more info on-screen at the same time like the current GUI, as well as have some GUI base probing options for less experienced users.

From what I can tell, if you go all the way to the newest controller boards (e.g. 93-32-4300E), it looks like the main, mocon, and video are all integrated on to one board. So then the only other board of significance would be the I/O PCB (93-0619F) that I would need to get in case mine is not compatible. Looking around, I can get the both of them used outside the US for $1800. The LCD retrofit would be cheap as I should be able to find something that matches the size of the current CRT opening and has the native resolution of the Haas 15" LCD.

The biggest unknown there for me is whether the newer software understands the older hardware in my machine (e.g. does it support the servos, encoders, spindle, tool changer, limit switch configuration from a 2001 machine). I don't have any knowledge about what parts have changed over the years and how much backwards compatibility there is in the HW/SW. I'm assuming that the firmware is mostly parametric, and so it would be possible to put in all of the right settings including the servo loop gains, encoder resolutions, etc.

Has anyone done this? I talked to someone at Haas and they said they had done it internally, but that they were not going to market or promote such retrofits.

Slightly older VF-2 (1997), but it's in pretty good shape as it saw light use. I'm interested in complimenting my bigger VF-5 by installing a higher speed spindle. I'm even considering using the GMN 30K spindle I bought as NOS instead of upgrading the OEM Haas spindle, then using it for surfacing after roughing on the other machine. So a better control with higher throughput would be attractive.

Not sure what traction this thread will get, tarting up a older Haas may sound a little to "home shop" for some...

plenty of traction, but it might end with a call to a local HFO.
i have heard from a factory Tech, of a "rewire" that can be done.

why couldn't they just supplant the old with new? makes sense to me.

i'd like to do it on my 2002 so i could use their new roller-gear rotaries.

I should be getting the needed boards shortly. Stay tuned. Also, if there is anyone in the bay area that has a newer machine that might be willing to help out by letting me have a look at it (wiring, parameter dumps and the like - I won't be messing with anything) - that might be helpful - please send me a PM.

Threads a year old....to the day, that kinda odd.

In any case, unless I had to spend the extra money to keep running, I wouldn't invest in updating an old Haas, I'd put that money down on a new or newer.

Yes this is possible, contact your local HFO, it is called the Maincon or Coldfire upgrade. It is expensive though. I have had to do upgrades on some vintage machines where boards are unavailable from the mfg, just install new control, pendant, and update parameters and settings. it is an extensive procedure though.

if your machine has the motorola 68K processor those can draw a pretty penny online (ebay) for folks who do not want to fork out the cash to do a control upgrade.

Cheers!

still waiting on the update:toetap:

Items needed to do this.
MainCon 93-32-4300E C or D version will also work $3495.00
15" LCD monitor 93-0875 $595.00
New SKBIF board 93-1509C $345.00
USB pendent mount 71-2050 $40.00
USB cable 74-2001 $8.00
RS-232 cable 79-10009 $5.00
Power cable 33-4502 $45.00
Skbif board input cable 33-0189 $30.00
Second Power button on the back of the power button it's self. 93-1258 45.00
LED Beacon 93-32-5131 $125.00
AD0107_Monitor_Install.jpg

Items needed to do this.
MainCon 93-32-4300E C or D version will also work $3495.00
15" LCD monitor 93-0875 $595.00
New SKBIF board 93-1509C $345.00
USB pendent mount 71-2050 $40.00
USB cable 74-2001 $8.00
RS-232 cable 79-10009 $5.00
Power cable 33-4502 $45.00
Skbif board input cable 33-0189 $30.00
Second Power button on the back of the power button it's self. 93-1258 45.00
LED Beacon 93-32-5131 $125.00
View attachment 172523
cool info!
What about network and HDD? Are those included in referenced boards?
kinda useless to pony up 5k without those, IMHO.

I'm sure some people here will think I'm crazy, but I'm looking into what it might take to update my older machine to a newer control system and display. The machine is working fine as-is but we would like be able to see more info on-screen at the same time like the current GUI, as well as have some GUI base probing options for less experienced users.

From what I can tell, if you go all the way to the newest controller boards (e.g. 93-32-4300E), it looks like the main, mocon, and video are all integrated on to one board. So then the only other board of significance would be the I/O PCB (93-0619F) that I would need to get in case mine is not compatible. Looking around, I can get the both of them used outside the US for $1800. The LCD retrofit would be cheap as I should be able to find something that matches the size of the current CRT opening and has the native resolution of the Haas 15" LCD.

The biggest unknown there for me is whether the newer software understands the older hardware in my machine (e.g. does it support the servos, encoders, spindle, tool changer, limit switch configuration from a 2001 machine). I don't have any knowledge about what parts have changed over the years and how much backwards compatibility there is in the HW/SW. I'm assuming that the firmware is mostly parametric, and so it would be possible to put in all of the right settings including the servo loop gains, encoder resolutions, etc.

Has anyone done this? I talked to someone at Haas and they said they had done it internally, but that they were not going to market or promote such retrofits.
Where can you get this board for 1800? My board just went out and I need a new one

Back