What's new
What's new

VF-0, spindle encoder

BGL

Hot Rolled
Background:
I’m restoring a 1997 VF-0 currently not yet under power. When purchased it was under power but without air supply. When attempting SPINDLE ORIENT command I got an alarm for spindle orient error. I presumed without air the shot pin would not function thus the alarm. I have no history of the machine, no one available that used it, had been untouched for five years.

While giving machine through cleaning and inspection with covers off I found the right angle connection to the spindle motor encoder connector loose; on closer inspection I found contact of the housing to two of the pins of the multi pin connector, these are unused to the lead that goes to the machine control buy they are connected to the pc board. I have removed the encoder, cleaned and given it a visual ok and replaced the connection.

The question(s):
Is there a bench test I can do to make sure the encoder is working?
Anyone know the pin connections?
Is there an under power test I can perform to see it is working?

Thanks for you inputs, there will be more questions to come.

Air supply!

Hello,

The first error you should have is "LOW AIR", there is a small diophram sensor up by the motor that needs to be replaced or someone has bypassed it. I would not recommend running the machine without that functional.
The "encoder" you are talking about is actually your "rigid tap" setup, it should be located above your spindle with a belt connecting directly to the top of the spindle. If you have a shot pin up there it has no bearing on "spindle oreint".
I believe there is a sensor somewhere that reads pressure in the orient block, it might be in the Mac valves behind the motor.
You could also damage your spindle by running it without air, you are asking for a lot of trouble not having air.

Good Luck!

LandM1

Thanks for the reply, not to worry about the spindle, only ran it at 10rpm for a few rotations. I did see the pressure sensor your speaking of. Everything cleaned up including the shot pin, moves in/out with light touch.
Once I have power & air I'll run the spindle break in program - on to the tool changer.

Back