What's new
What's new

Alarm 114

ARB

Titanium
1994 VF3

I am getting Alarm 114 "Shuttle Out Fault" just after a tool clamps during a tool change. This is seemingly happening at random. But always right after clamp up. Any ideas? I am thinking that the shuttle out switch is getting a little touchy but that is a guess. Maybe a bad wire somewhere?

Sometimes it will happen about every 4 or 5 tool changes sometimes it is 15-20.

Has anyone run into this and solved it?

Any help would be appreciated.

ARB

I had an issue where the arm that swings the carousel in and out had shifted over on the motor shaft just enough to not hit the in and out switches anymore. It was because the set screw backed off. Slightly different then your problem, but it's easy enough to get up there and verify.

114 ugh

We get it often because all our machines do a lot of tool changes (average 2500 changes a day)

for us the 114 is because of the wear out of the carbon brush on the shuttle fwd/back motor

whenever I start getting this I immediately change the carbon brush. (Haas doesnt give a spare- I grind my own brushes).

It gradually gets worse until it happens almost once every hour.

one way to identify this is to move the magazine towards the spindle a couple of inches fwd by pulling the arm accessed from the left side door then do a zero return.

The first thing that the machine does for a zero return is to pull back the shuttle if it senses that it isnt already at the home (which it isnt cos we pulled it away from home)

if you try it say 5 times then one will give an alarm if the motor cant move it back...

( Initially I called haas to solve this problem .. and we went about changing i/o cards, etc
then the problem got solved when we changed the motor.)
they asked me to buy the motor.
I said 'No way' why would we change the motor when a carbon brush change solves the problem,

I have been doing that ever since.

If you ask me... The DC motor is not a good idea for a shuttle motor...

see ya.

Do let me know when you solve your problem .

Mathen

Mathen,

Good to know that, thanks for sharing that bit of information. Per your situation, (2500...whew!), I think that a pneumatic cylinder would be better than the motor.

Good luck,

Charles

you're welcome.

If it is in fact the brush ,and you need to change it, do remember to put a curve on the face of the brush that makes contact with the commutator.Initially I didnt do it right and the motor didnt move at all. then after a few trials I got the hang of grinding the tip of the brush to match . .....
Good luck

I'm seriously thinking of doing some sort of modification. And since I already have a few machines with air cylinders that have their own set of headaches,Maybe I should go for some sort of geared ac motor.

bye
Mathen

We are currently having the same problem with our carousel (error 115). Brushes were the first thing the rep told us to check. They were fine, though on further reflection, it is possible one or both brush springs are weak. I will check this tomorrow.

The thing that has me puzzled is that I can apply 20VDC directly to the motor leads and it turns smooth as silk. Why would brushes cause a problem at 85V (from the IOPCB) yet seem to be fine at 20V?

Well Doug
the only reason I can think of for that happening is -

maybe the non contact point between the commutator and brush is just a small sector / segment on the whole 360 degree curve of the commutator. and You didnt catch that particular point at start up while applying the 20 v dc.

almost always the error occurs only intermittently , and after the error all we need to do is to give the shuttle a shake and it starts running again.

Mathen

It's been a few years so my memory of it isn't to sharp. When i had a shuttle fault problem Haas had me swap out the "ice cube" relays in the main power cabinet and it fixed it. If Mathen's advice isn't your problem let me know and i'll look in the cabinet and describe their location to you, i think it was lower right. I replaced both of them and bought 2 spares because they were pretty cheap.

you're right Markjb, it could be the relays too ( though we have never changed one yet.)

Thought I'd just send this picture of our I/O card , ( I hope it has some resemblance to yours )

the 4 relays shown k9,k10,k11,k12 in our machine are for shuttle in ,shuttle out, magazine clockwise,mag anticlockwise...
iocard.jpg

keep the power off at the mains and try interchanging the relays. it should have some sort of clip mechanism that you may need to disengage ....just be careful not to bend the pins....

good luck
Mathen

The relays do sometimes stick, swap the in and out relays to see if alarm changes to "Shuttle In fault" if it does you have your fix. Relays are a big 5-10 bucks, cleaning the contact will give you some time.

Motor and brushes will give the same alarm, I have had my share as well.

However for me the proximity switchs are the ones that go most, a switch that just hangs up a split second will trigger that alarm. I go into the diagnose page and trigger the switch manually to see if it shows up instantanous on the screen, if it don't I keep a few around and swap it out. A dab of grease around the top seems to make them last longer.

Well, it turned out to be fried components on the IOPCB. The motor was fine, as it should be for having so few hours.

Haas decided to save $2 on the cost of the board by eliminating the board mounted fuses that protected the circuitry in the case of a motor overload. Since they do not provide support or documentation for board level repairs we had to buy a new IOPCB.

On a positive note, the board was only $700. Other manufacturers would get six times that price so I guess I shouldn't complain. And I can probably repair the board with a $3 voltage regulator and keep it as a spare.

Still, it irks me when companies design failure into products.

That really stinks. Could have been a simple fuse replacement. On some boards or components they offer a core rebate or is it a core charge which you get returned, either way I'd ask...or as you said repair and keep as a spare (which of course now you will never again need as you have one )

Back