What's new
What's new

VF2 axis noise

Eric U

Hot Rolled
Hi all,

My 2009 VF-2 has been doing this for a while. I don't use my mill as much since I got my mill/turn Doosan. Because the VF-2 sits for extended periods of time I thought my X-axis movement "squeal" was just dry way covers. Now I'm not so sure. It doesn't seem to let up no matter how long I run it. It only happens in the X-direction. Y and Z are fine. Finish is good. Any ideas what this is? Untuned servo's? Dying motor. Lack of lube to ways? Drive dying?

Thanks,
Eric U

If it's the squealing at the end of your video I'd guess it's a section of sheetmetal rubbing on a surface, resonating as it catches/releases several times a second. Might be worth pulling the second cover to isolate it too, then seeing what the noise does. You can try a length of tubing held to your ear and to the test area, just be really careful to not get caught up in the moving bits.

It doesn't sound bearing related, at least not to me.

End of video sounds like a way cover. Maybe a quick check of way covers, then hose it down with the coolant and see if it still does it?

The very end of the video is different with the cover off. Definitely sounds like a resonance. The noise I heard before was the whining in the first part of the video. It is more pronounced at the far +X end of the table travel. I didn't pull the left end way cover because the whining occurs whether the left cover is collapsed or extended.

Thanks,
Eric U

Before pulling the cover, I checked both sides closely and then thoroughly doused with coolant. Still squealing.

Thanks

I listened again, and to me it seems like the lower volume squeal morphs into the louder one at the end. It's sort of tough to be certain, I think pulling the second cover is worthwhile just to rule it out. With both covers collapsed outward then you'll only have the rolling/linear bearings and drive that can make the noise, unless there's a bracket tab or something rubbing on the table.

If you use a long wood dowel and put one end against your ear then touch the other end to various places as it squeals you will be able to tell where the sound is loudest. I do this on engines to find internal noises using a long handled screw driver.

Definitely pull back the other way cover if for nothing else, to rule it out.

Also, that side is where the motor and coupling are located. Look for any loose items/covers. There will probably be a plastic bump stop for a hard over travel situation. See if that plastic piece is touching the ball screw.

Look under the table where the ball screw nut mounts to the bottom side of the table. Look to see if anything is loose in that area also.

In the video, is the machine moving by handle jog or programmed moves? If you do the opposite, does it make the same noise?

Last edited:
Makes the same noise going both directions, but mostly at the +X end of travel. I pulled the other way cover and no difference. I checked all sheet metal anywhere near the table and all the screws are tight.

I found a nice 4' long piece of wooden dowel and tried to listen to everything I could think of. I got some noise off the motor on the left side of the machine, but that isn't at the range of travel where it makes the most noise. I got a lot of noise off the ball screw bearing housing on the right side of the machine and almost the same amount off the ball screw itself when the table was at the really noisy range of travel.

I also noticed something else while messing with the dowel. Even when the table wasn't moving I'm hearing a buzzing sound off the motor. If I tried really hard, I could get the table to stop in a spot where there wasn't any noise. No noise like this in y-axis movement. I didn't notice it before due to ambient shop noise. Not as loud as when moving, but noticible when listening.

Thanks,
Eric U

Interesting. Check the X axis load meter when moving the table, and see if the value changes at certain points of travel, or if it varies with noise level. If it is bearings and there's increased loading you might be able to see it, but bearings and ball screws are usually so efficient that even when crapping out you might not see a torque/load spike.

The X - Y motor noise could be a tuning issue, if you want you can try swapping servo axis drives to see if the noise then shows up on Y, and X gets quiet. If Haastec can offer advice here I'd trust his thoughts more than mine...

One more thing - when you move the table over to expose the X ballscrew, is the surface of the screw thread oily, or does it seem dry? Just wondering if that squeal could be the bearing balls rubbing in the nut.

That sound like servo motor not sheet metal, something is going on with your servo motor being electrical or mechanical call your haas guys let them check it out.

The noise you hear on the servo is it trying to move to the commanded position. It could be the encoder is dirty but more likely the ball screw or the table is binding . You may be able to feel it by turning the ball screw by hand where the noise is loudest. Inspect the ball screw groove where the table bearing runs on it at the noise spot.

Back