What's new
What's new

VF3 down again , how to access transmission line fitting behind gearbox ?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
i replaced the coupling in the trans oil pump , which worked fine for about a week - now i get the same 179 alarm . the POS 3/8" vinyl hose they
decided to use on the vacuum side is cracked and rotten . i can sort of get my hand under the gearbox and feel where it attaches to the casting,
but can't tell how it attaches and/or how to replace it . i don't find any reference to this in the service manual , and it only references this
line as coming up to the pump in a sectional view , not where it starts or where/how it connects.

surely, someone has replaced this line .

any help or insight would be greatly appreciated .

just following up - i replaced the vinyl hose with high quality automotive transmission fluid line . the fitting is partially obscured by the cog
belt which drives the spindle from the transmission. lying on my back with the head lowered close to the table , i was able to wrench the
lovely Oetiker hose clamp free with this : 15" Long Reach Locking Pliers .

i hate those fucking clamps when they're under the hood of a car + i can remove one with a zip-wheel , but stuck waaay up inside a 1.5"x 4"
cavity, 12" deep .....they really suck .

just thought i'd pass this info along - the Haas factory tech recommended that i would have to lift the entire motor and transmission assembly
with a crane , replace the fitting , then realign and adjust the drive .

so.... a $10 vise-grip and $6 hose saved me a $1000 repair .

Hope I never have to...but good to know in case.

Gearbox and motor isn't the worst thing to pull either...hour to an hour and a half with a forklift. Worst thing is getting started.

...or in my case it was the wrong motor and had to be pulled again...and then again. It's a long drawn out story. Just glad I did it as the tech didn't had a different way then the way I did and sounded very costly. Funny, he was surprised to see new motor and box up there when he walked in...I was only supposed to clean up machine and maybe pull off cover before he got here.

Its those stupid cheap items that give Haas a bad rap...I know a couple bucks here and there do add up, but I'd rather spend an additional thousand or two on a machine and not have to fix crappy stuff.

Mine are plumbed with copper lines and compression fittings.

You have to pull the drawbar plate off the front then unbolt the motor and jack it up. We have a engine hoist we use with a long boom and chain. Works like a charm...Good luck.

Back