What's new
What's new

Want small Haas VMC

I am considering purchasing a new Haas VM1-P machining center. I would probably rather have a MiniMill, but the VM1-P looks to be the better buy. It comes with a 6000 rpm spindle and a 10 tool changer, also a small capacity coolant. I want to keep the price down, but I want solid tapping and high speed machining and capacity to run large programs with no lag time. Is the plain machine control able to do this without purchasing extras? How easy is it to keep clean without a chip conveyor? What are some machinery dealers that would have late model used machines of this description? Are there any discounts that can be applied to a new purchase? The VM1-P appears to be physically larger than the Mini Mill, but weighs less, any comments on this?I am certainly going to contact a dealer for a quote, but I thought that I would get some valuable input from the forum members. I had gotten some imput concerning the repair of a MicroVal CMM early this year that proved extremely valuable to me, for which I am grateful.

I was originally considering a Tormach, but at aroung $20,000, I am reluctant to spend this much on a Chinese mill that is not in any way equivalent to a Haas. I am a retired individual 78 years old who presently has a small shop geared toward close tolerance reverse engineering, and I am thinking that even if I buy a new Haas my family could sell it at close to what it costs new. The chinese mill may not retain its value.

Lord Byron

Two things... no three things, get the 10k spindle and the basic chip auger and a CAD/CAM system. Have you considered a low hour used machine?

Back