What's new
What's new

What is a 1998 control called? Pre-Classic? - want to seek probe options. VF4. 98

countryguy

Hot Rolled
Hi folks, I am seeking to understand what the control is called for a 1998 VF4. I see references to a 'classic control' and know that is not the old monochrome types. Does anyone know how or what is needed to run a probe of the older haas systems?

I have seen threads out there about Renishaw and a needed Macro option? Wondering if anyone knows exactly what this means really? Our VF/4 does seem to have this option but no clue about inputting all the macros, or where to find them, etc.

Here is the older post... 2012, so I thought I would check in. See what has changed?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/haas/adding-probing-haas-vf-237739/

In 2015 I was quoted about $7500 for a Marposs system on our 1999 VF. I think I recall hearing [from the factory outlet] the older control couldn't use the current-day "OMI" wireless system from Renishaw, so if we wanted a wireless probe then it would have to be from Marposs. I may be wrong though, it's been a few years.
I ended up not going through with it, though I still have the machine.

As mentioned in that older 2012 thread you linked, there's many other ways to get some probes up and running, but they're much less of a drop-in modification and more of a question as to how much electronics fiddling you want to endure.

While changing the batteries in my 2004 VF-3 I completely ruined my board. They quoted me 6k for the upgraded board and monitor for my machine. They stated that once this was done its like buying a new machine with the latest and greatest software. You would be able to turn options on that you couldn't do in classics. That's just a thought.

Thanks! That is a good thought honestly. Or maybe finding one from a pulls/scrap machine too! I was sitting here tonight wondering if it would be cheaper to just pull out the haas control and do a Centroid retrofit? (have done in past and really know it well). Hate to say it... but cost prohibitive upgrades for us "start-up" newbies really hurts. But.... I bought a Haas to be a Haas oriented skill set for my Son. He's 20 and doing a Product deign and Mfr.degree and excels in the 3D CAD/CAM space. We know he/we need to learn the haas control. We'll get there. time is on his side I suppose. :toetap:

Do you know if you have that HFO ParNumber or parts info still? The one thing I LOVE about Haas is my HFO is fantastic!!
Will send a note to Pete! :-)

You can put an OMI probe on an old machine, but not without some figuring, and HAAS won't help you. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/haas/adding-renishaw-spindle-tool-probing-endorsement-332732 Why even consider a Centroid? You can probably upgrade from Haas for less money, and at any rate you have an OE control instead of something else.

I did the maincon upgrade and wouldn't go back. To add an OMI probe to the old machines you'll either have to do some wiring and figuring, or upgrade your IO board as well, which runs around $1500 I think.

Now that is the linchpin post I think we needed for the older board probe upgrade! I would like to stay old for now. (funding). So thank you very much! As an old Aerospace EET this sounds right up my alley. I will dig in to those noted probe/tool devices see where we go from here. Again, this is a college kid doing a hoped-for start-up biz after graduation. we're timing all the learning and upgrade work by starting early now.
If you do not mind, Would you happen to have any old doodle'd wire diagrams or hook up notes? Or old notes/threads from probe you might be willing to share? Again, thanks for the tipping post. Jeff.

update: I did find a link to a set of probes files in this thread; Not sure if this is the full set or not?
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...dinate-setting-part-measuring-program-259817/

Last edited:
The omi is fairly self explanatory, you'll hook up the output to the skip input, and figure out a way to power the individual enable lines on the OMI. I powered it with 12v from the main supply.

On my machine, I used the auxiliary relays to run the probe, so either wire can get power, but I set up the macros to work properly.

On the newer Haas boards, they use one relay for power and another to switch which one gets the power.

Also note that you'll need at minimum macros, and preferably rotation and scaling and spindle orientation. If you ask Haas, chances are they will sell you the probe package, which is what they did for me. The price really is quite reasonable I think, for sure if you don't already have macros.

Yep. We have Macros, and Rot/Scal. I am unsure of Spindle orientation? Qill go root around for info on how to check for that.
again, thanks!!

Countryguy, check out my post from a while back. You may find it helpful for what you are looking to do.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ition-old-vfs-317712-post2732132/#post2732132

These notes were done when I first started installing systems like you are seeking, so they are a bit crude and it's possible that there may even be a mistake or two in them. Everything worked as expected when I finished the jobs, so I guess that's a good thing. I have not fully reviewed the notes for completeness but rather pulled them out of my stash so that hopefully they can be of use to somebody else; use at your own risk, ha ha!

Let me know if you have any questions or need some of my chicken scratch translated.

Good luck!

Back