What's new
What's new

What is the maximum allowable dwell time?

I don't know the max allowable limit, but depending on what you're trying to do, you may be able to get away by putting the dwell into a subroutine and call it as many times as you need to.

i believe theres a way to switch from seconds to minutes but i can even begin to remember what it was...why not use m1 then its infinite dwell till you hit go?

edit: its seconds to miliseconds...probably less help than wanted lol

The reason I want to do it is to test the "power off at M30" command. We just had our software updated on a Next Generation control, and I want to know if the glitch has been fixed. Previously it only worked if the M30 command was read on the same calendar day the program was started on. If it ran overnight I would always come in to a machine that was still turned on. I'm trying to run a long program without actually running the spindle and everything else.

I think as mentioned you can loop a sub with a dwell to give desired time.

Is "Setting 1", Auto Off no longer available on machines? Auto Off powers off machine after a prescribed idle time it set.

Heck, my last machine was an ST and that thing Auto shut after very little time, inside light shut off, screen powered off, conveyor shut after a minute...pain in the butt had to reset everything to keep the damn thing on.

Last edited:
I think as mentioned you can loop a sub with a dwell to give desired time.

Is "Setting 1", Auto Off no longer available on machines? Auto Off powers off machine after a prescribed idle time it set.

Heck, my last machine was an ST and that thing Auto shut after very little time, inside light shut off, screen powered off, conveyor shut after a minute...pain in the butt had to reset everything to keep the damn thing on.

Auto Off (setting 1) is still there, but with the extended amount of time it take the new Next Generation control to come to life I don't like to use it. I spoke to an experienced Haas technician at the open house yesterday, and I learned the maximum dwell time allowed is 900 seconds per G4 command. I can work with that.

can you manually change the date on the controller?

I have not tried that. The new Next Generation control has a lot of software upgrades to prevent people from monkeying with things, so I doubt I would be successful. Besides, changing the date wouldn't help me with my particular issue of starting a program on one day and having it finish the next day.

Auto Off (setting 1) is still there, but with the extended amount of time it take the new Next Generation control to come to life I don't like to use it. I spoke to an experienced Haas technician at the open house yesterday, and I learned the maximum dwell time allowed is 900 seconds per G4 command. I can work with that.

Glad you have your fix.

But have to ask as I'm again considering another Haas...Or Doosan Or Samsung. Anyway...what do you mean by extended amount of time for control to come to life.

Useful info, after all these years. I want to start machine after 'prime time', the reason, night time power is 1/2 price of prime time. Want to start machine after 7:00 pm (relevant rate drop time in Colorado)

Back