What's new
What's new

Will a Haas Minimill Tool changer fit the TM1 as a retrofit?

Dangle_kt

Aluminum
My haas tm1 is superb, but the lack of tool changer is irritating. I know, I know - you said it would be....

Anyway, I have seen a few minimill toolchangers for sale on ebay in the US (I'm in the UK, but assuming I can get the shipping sorted)

What do you guys think my chances are of getting the minimill toolchanger to work on the TM1, the minimill and TM1 share a lot of parts, and I'm wondering if anyone knows?

Also, in terms of making it work, I'd love to think I bolt it in place, plug it in and it would just work...but i imagine I would need to get advice from HAAS on getting it to work - and that is the other problem, in Europe we aren't allowed tool changers on open machines like my TM1...so I doubt they would help me out getting it to operate.

Any wise words folks?

Thanks in advance

Why not a TM-1 toolchanger for a TM-1?

Because there aren't any TM-1 toolchangers to be found, Haas does not sell them. A note to the OP, if you fit a tool changer to your machine, it looses its CE safety certificate which will be a major problem if you are a company with employees.

Thanks folks - yes TM1 tool changes seem to be hard to come by, I will look at the part numbers - thank you

Ref the CE point - currently it's just me doing the work, but its a point very much worth considering

My issue is, as I am operating out my garage, is that a replacement machine with a tool changer is hard to justify becuase it will require many £££££ of investment in electric supply, and £££££ in a new machine.

I think I'd have to seriously consider moving to an industrial unit when it is time to grow which will have 3 phase and a decent sized door to get a machine through, and just carry on without a tool changer for now.

I've wanted to add a tool changer to my TM-1 for years. The last time I saw anyone selling old stock Haas upgrade kits, they were like $7000 and they sold out real quick too. That was years ago. I also have a Mini Mill with the 10 tool changer, so between the 2 machines I do OK. Still, if a tool changer were to come along...

TM tool changer

Have you considered a rack tool changer? Where you have a little magazine on one side of the table to keep tools, I mean. Instead of the changer rotating, one tool gets dropped off in one pocket, and then the next tool loaded from another pocket. You'd have to figure out how to command the tool changes, but that might be loads easier than trying to retrofit a tool changer.
TCrack500.jpg

There was a guy from Poland, IIRC, some years back who spent a lot of time and effort trying to get something like that to work. Don't know what ever became of it. For me, it's not worth the trouble.

If you need the tool changer right now, sell your machine and buy one with the tool changer.
If you can wait, keep your machine, and buy later another one with tool changer. You will have 2 spindles (best choice IMHO).
I wouldn't retrofit the tool changer of the Mini. You're going to end spending more time and $$$ in aspirins to alleviate headaches.

I would imagine that it is possible since they both utilize a 10 station umbrella tool changer assembly, see link.
https://diy.haascnc.com/sites/defau...e_Manual_96-0283D_Rev_D_English_June_2011.pdf
Look on pg 510 of the link for the manual and you will see a p/n for the TM mounting arm. Check to see if your TM has the necessary casting holes to mount the arm in place, you could also probably use all the same wiring for the MM.

All of this is speculation as I have not looked into this possibility in great detail. If you were serious about pursuing, I would find a MM locally and trace back all wiring for the tool changer and confirm you have all the same plugs on your TM machine. Then compare the MM parameters related to the tool changer and verify that your TM will accept any necessary changes.

If all that is a "go" then order up the TM mounting arm and purchase a MM tool changer and get busy. If you ever need to sell the TM or get employees, then unbolt the tool changer assembly to be in compliance with the CE safety standards and put the tool changer back on ebay with some clever marketing towards the TM owners.

Good luck!

Last edited:
do you have to pay to unlock any software? I have a tm-1 and tm-3 I would love to swap the tool changer over to the tm-2
Hard to align? (Obviously I would need to make a spacer to bring it to the proper y length)

My hfo says I have to pay full price to unlock the software for a 4th axis even though I don't need a drive or cables (almost $4000 CAD) Would not want to have to do that for the tool changer!

Back