What's new
What's new

Faded Tug-40 threading dials are proof of a merciful God

S_W_Bausch

Diamond
In this post, I will provide proofs that the faded thread chasing dials of Andrychow Tug-40 lathes prove the existence of a merciful God.

The first proof is the plate riveted onto the threading dial body; it makes a claim of the following TPIs:

7 1/2
10 1/2
12 1/2
17 1/2
22 1/2
45 (actually noted twice)

Which are nowhere to be found on the quick change chart :eek:

The plate also fails to suggest how to use the threading dial for the "1/8" TPIs on the quick-change chart.

If the threading dial and plate had not faded to the point of being illegible, I fear that many machinists may have gone mad, attempting to select the above-mentioned threads.

There is a God.

In reality, the clever little 'rainbow' dial and the color-coded chart are basically confusing, since the threading dial pinion is 16 tooth, and the leadscrew is 4 TPI, resulting in one sweep of the dial over four inches of carriage travel, which is how most dials perform.

If the chart and dial were readable, I fear many machinists would have gone mad, while trying to answer "what were these guys thinking?",

Get yourself a Sharpie, mark the dial into the classic 8 divisions, and go cut some threads.

Thanks for the information.
I recently purchased a Tug 40 engine lathe.
It is a great machine but trying to make threads is a bit of a nightmare.
I have been trying to get a simple 12 TPI but nave not been successful.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Threading on a Tug 40 lathe

Thanks for the information.
I recently purchased a Tug 40 engine lathe.
It is a great machine but trying to make threads is a bit of a nightmare.
I have been trying to get a simple 12 TPI but nave not been successful.
Any idea what I am doing wrong?[/QU
Any help would be greatly appriceated.
OTE]

Do you have to swap piles of gears out to get those weird threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Unless the weird thread truly exists, that funky dial is a conversion of a metric dial, by someone with no familiarity with the inch system.

Not sure if the standard complement of gears could create any of those threads.

Back