What's new
What's new

Looks like spam to me...

Lassen Forge

Aluminum
I got the following email at my work address... I generally treat this stuff as garbage, however, as this went to my work, not registered, address, and directs to some off the wall website I've never heard of, (Default Parallels Plesk Panel Page) I wanted to put the question if this is legit, and if not, to the mods that someone has done went and spoofed your list (or at least your cookies).

Susanne @ the Forge

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Practical Machinist forum member,

On July 1, Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) goes into effect, meaning that without action, you will be deleted from our email list. To stay up-to-date with Practical Machinist and our sponsors, you will need to elect to remain on our list. By clicking the button below, you will be automatically re-subscribed to our existing list.

We hope you choose to continue receiving updates from Practical Machinist and our sponsors.

By clicking the button above, you are confirming your express consent that you are willing to receive email marketing communications from Practical Machinist and our sponsors.

The law is real, but the email itself I'm not sure about...will ask my IT guy right now, they do stuff sometimes without asking me first !....back with news later...

OK, I checked and the email is absolutely from us and for real. Looking back on it now, how could we have made that fact more clear in the email....something like...and you worrywarts...this is for real...no, I'm not kidding, it really is..no really... ;)

I am getting these messages from all the services/companies that I get email bulletins from. It was happening for about two weeks. Now, hopefully the unwanted will be gone. They will figure out another tactic I am sure. As far as the advertising itself at least the supplier will know that the people who consent are valid advertising contacts who have interest in the product or service.

While this is a little late in this game, I think if you had included a plaintext url that obviously was to practicalmachinist.com instead of an image button with no obvious link to PM, the readers would have been more confident the email was really from PM. I know that could be faked also but most people would have cut and pasted the link and any subterfuge would then be bypassed.

Back