What's new
What's new

Making Your Web Site Be Found In Searches More Often

George_Race

Plastic
I am starting this thread because I noticed that many web sites, especially those built by end users, do not have good luck being recognized by the search engines. There is a whole industry behind "being recognized" on the web, but there are some simple things that are overlooked by "home" designers of web sites that will be of great help.

Here are the basics of how you site gets recognized on the web. You can spend a lot of money with Google and other search engines and "Buy" a higher ranking in the search engine world. Or, you can provide information in your "header" and search engines will find and index your web site, by the information your provide.

Next I will review what i am doing on my web site to drive "search engine" traffic to my site.

Here is what my "Header" information looks like on all of my web pages:

<html>

<head>
<title>My Projects Page</title>
<meta name="generator" content="Namo WebEditor">
<META NAME="TITLE" CONTENT=" Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from MyKitAirplane.">
<META NAME="AUTHOR" CONTENT="http://www.mykitairplane.com">
<META NAME="SUBJECT" CONTENT=" Aircraft Parts ">
<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Race Consulting supplies information and components for Zenith homebuilt aircraft ">
<META NAME="ABSTRACT" CONTENT="Homebuilt Aircraft Parts from Race Consulting. - Parts and supplies for the Zenith Airplane Builder">
<META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="Inspection Openings,baggage door kit,fuel tank trim plate,fuel filler trim,fuel drain trim,pilot supplies,aircraft parts,home built aircraft,kit planes,Zenith Parts,Instrument Bezels,Inspection Opening Kits,Tie Down Kits,Custom Panels,2 and 3 Axis Controller,Experimental Aircraft,MyKitAirplane Builders Program,Airplane Building DVD,Zenith 701 POH,Zenith CH701,Aircraft Data Plate,instrument panels">
<META NAME="COPYRIGHT" CONTENT="http://www.mrrace.com">
<META NAME="LANGUAGE" CONTENT="English">
<META NAME="DISTRIBUTION" CONTENT="global worldwide">
<META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="7 DAYS">
<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="index,follow">
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="index,follow">
<meta name="namo-theme" content="Theme\RaceConsulting Design\GoldWorld">
</head>

Understand the above "stuff" and placing it in the appropriate place on your site will go a long ways toward "being recognized and found" with search engines. I suggest you copy the above information, paste it in notepad, and print it out. This will make it easier to follow as I try to explain what each entry does.

To start with, how do you find the stuff above in any web site? Here is something to try right here on this site, as you read this article. First, right click on this page, anywhere, with your mouse. From the list that opens up, click on "View Page Source." That will open a window that shows the "META" information at the top of the page. META information is background information used by web search engines and robots to "index" your pages on the World Wide Web. This site does have "meta" entries, but only a minimal amount.

Now looking at my list, from above, here are some key things to ponder on. Each entry beginning with META NAME= is conveying information used for web indexing. You can read down the list, each entry is important. Important to your sight being found is the content of your "SUBJECT," "DESCRIPTION," "ABSTRACT" and "KEYWORDS" areas. Of all of those, the KEYWORDS area must contain as much "unique" to your situation information as you can provide. Each entry must be separated by a "comma" and there is no limit to the size of the list.

The next important group provides information to "Robots" that constantly search the web for information to include in their search lists. If you want more information about how Robots work, do a search on "Search Engines and Robots" for a lot more information on how they work. Key to this group are the following entries: "DISTRIBUTION," "REVISIT-AFTER," "GOOGLEBOT," and "ROBOTS". Those are the entries that direct the Search Engine Robots what to do and how often to look for information on your site for their search index information.

If you look at the page headers on the sites you visit, you may find a lack of this kind of information. So how can they be so easily recognized by search engines like Google? The answer is simple, all it takes it money. You can literally buy your way into a top ranking in any particular search engine through their provided services. But, if you don't want to spend thousands getting your Web Site higher in the search engine list, you can use the above information to get started, and it is free and under your control.

Hope this helps you to understand "Site Search Ranking" just a little better.

George

Now days there are many ways to website gets recognized on the web other than this, search engines looking for good quality and relevant content.

As someone with a basic blog site, and after spending some time reading and reviewing Googles developer tools and tutorials on Search Engine Optimization (SEO), i'd say the meta-keywords no longer have great value. After googles last update to their algorithms, Panda, keywords lost value. As rogerskevin remarked, the emphasis is on good quality and relevant content. Tags and keywords within your content will help, among many other things.

A helpful for anyone interested:

SEO Optimization Starter Guide

Back