What's new
What's new

reputation icon

I gather it works off of others clicking the small, scale icon which allows them to "add" to your "reputation" if they like what you've posted. Then, they are able to approve of your post and specify what they liked about it. I have no idea as to why they change from green to blank though; there seems to be no obvious consistency with that. Mines green and I *know* I have "no reputation" here, but so too are a few posters' with "unknown quantity at this point".

I personally don't take it too seriously, as there are plently of people with 1-10 posts that apparently have a higher reputation than some posters with over 1000 posts, which doesn't really say much until you realize those with the >10 post count didn't have anything important or informative to say either.

It works in reverse as well.

I suppose it's just another form of emphasizing the facination with hierarchy's...but I'd like to know the whole colour-thing.

...or maybe it has nothing to do with reputation as we know it at all, as the message that appears after adding to one's reputation states "may you be *lucky* enough to recieve the same reputation in return", which could imply that knowledge has no part in it; it's all based on chance.

Excuse me while I go ponder existentialism, Descartes-style...

Much obliged. I never considered myself much of
a sage on this forum, I'm just glad to reap info
when I can and throw out a nugget if I got one...:smoking:

Stuart

The reputation thing is BS.

The metals listed under the name go by post count. The reputation thing is basically an ass kissing contest. The mods don't even need toiletpaper usually, unless there's an unpopular one. Then people don't bother to give positive feedback, just negative. It's LAME, then there's anonymous comments that show up in the user CP from people too chickenshit to fess up to what they said. If they don't want to put their name on it, I don't bother to give it any weight. It would be cool if people were more mature about it, or you could see WHO, and WHY people gave points, and were limited by how much they can brown nose mods. Unfortunately, it's abused too much to work well. :rolleyes5:

Does it even work?

I think it's a feature of the forum software, and I'm thinkin' that the feature hasn't even been 'enabled'.

Regardless, I'm certain that if it WERE enabled, it'd be somewhat more useful than say... Ebay feedback...

Hover over the little green box on your post, which is the rep thing, and you'll see a little text box that says, in your case "Dave Kamp is an unknown quantity at this point"

I'd say it's working; appparently I've got rep for the post above, not enough to move my rep icon out of the "distinguished road" category though, but in the user CP it should tell you when someone has added rep to your account.

Last edited:

Back