What's new
What's new

72" Webster and Bennett

ctwarren

Plastic
hello my Name is Chris and I am the general manager at Whistler Machine Works in Mobile Alabama, USA.

We have broken the feed box shaft that mates up to the table shaft 3 times in a row.
The machine seems to be some how getting into 2 gears at once. when we rapid traverse then come out of traverse it snaps the shaft. on one instance when we turned the machine on and it snapped immediately.

any ideas on what could be happening or what we can do to fix it?

Is it the shaft breaking or the soft pin that goes in the coupling as a safety valve? I'm running a 54" W&B a few hours north of you. It takes getting used to using a light touch to keep from slamming the feed from rapid into feed and causing that awful bang. Could be a clutch out of adjustment hanging it between rapid and normal feed, too.

Is it the shaft breaking or the soft pin that goes in the coupling as a safety valve? I'm running a 54" W&B a few hours north of you. It takes getting used to using a light touch to keep from slamming the feed from rapid into feed and causing that awful bang. Could be a clutch out of adjustment hanging it between rapid and normal feed, too.

Hi Mike , there seems to be two threads running on this issue. The other thread has photos of the sheared off shaft. All my documentation on these machines is somewhere in my loft. It's a while since I had one of these in pieces and I need to refresh my memory with a look at the drawings. I'll see if I can find time to find them but today is busy with medical appointments unfortunately.

Looking at the photos I've got a day or two because the OP needs to source a shaft, one gear at least and repair a broken housing.

I'm wondering when the first shaft broke were all the gears checked out thoroughly ? Having said that it doesn't explain why the first shaft broke.

Regards Tyrone.

Mike,

The entire shaft is breaking not the pin. It has happened 3 times. It has to be something like you said clutches, solenoid etc. I did mistakenly post this thread in the general and reconditioning forums. the pictures are in the general. I may remove this thread so it isn't confusing.

Back