What's new
What's new

Angular contact vs ball thrust bearings for ballscrew

crystalltiice

Aluminum
Hi,

I'm doing a CNC conversion on a small Rong Fu type milling machine and need to decide on what bearings and configuration to use for the ball screw drive end. It will be coupled to the motor with a plum style coupler so no belts = no radial load.

I see a lot of talk about angular contact or double row angular contact bearings for this but then most of these conversions use a belt reduction, which will require a bearing that can handle radial loads.

In my case it will mainly be axial loads so I'm thinking some ball thrust bearings. The other option of double row angular does not sound feasible to me as there is no way of eliminating bearing backlash other than to use one with a split inner or outer or use two angular bearings DF/DB style.

The 2x angular contact bearing option with small spaces between the two bearings is also an option as I can grind the spacers (or bearing races) different heights to set preload, once I figure out how to calculate their heights!

Only problem is I need to know which option will work as the ballscrew needs to be made to what option I'm planning on using and my lathe can only turn shafts thinner and shorter....

Ballscrew will be 2005.

Your input is much appreciated!

Angle /timken bearings with a double nut to set preload only way to go IMHO
Ps you're brand choice is banned on this forum...I think

Yeah, it seems hobby machines are frowned upon but I feel my question is just as applicable when converting a knee mill.

Back