What's new
What's new

Any Interest in Springfield VT Rebuiding class spring of 2018?

Richard King

Diamond
I have been hearing from some folks in Canada about a New England class in 2018. I checked with Don at The Gear Works in Springfield VT Gear Works, Inc - Home where we had a class last fall. I am thinking April or May. Anyone interested? The Gear Works is a Gear cutting job shop and a Gear Machinery Rebuilder and it used to be part of the old Fellows factories there. Don Sattuck the owner worked for Fellows and is a very interesting guy. We also toured the American Precision Museum one afternoon and would like to do that again. American Precision Museum - Home

Shoot me a note and I will start to organize it. Rich

Update: Heard from a couple of people...How about May 22-3 Fri - Tuesday or 25 - 29 M to F.

I'm in for another dose of metal mangling and dirty jokes at Gear works. I just marked my calendar.

I would love to attend one of your classes but a chronically bad back and severe ADD have prevented me from even considering attending. My back hurts just looking at scraping videos. Am I wrong?

Rich, You left me hanging when the Burlington class was canceled, I'm eager to jump on the next opportunity in my region.
That's why we moved the class to Springfield. The fellow said he wanted to do one in his family owned gear company, told me it was all arranged, but when he talked to his Dad, he could not do it...or something like that.

I hope my comment above doesn't come across as confrontational, I apologize that my disappointment should be directed elsewhere, I was aware of the circumstances as of the booking time from an email you sent me on;
Mar/23/2016 5:32AM EST

From now on I need help with organization of the classes. I spoke with Warren and he said he would help if Wayne needs it. When I have so many classes scheduled I am finding it hard to keep things straight.

Rich, I am not sure Wayne is going to participate, at least he indicated that he was not going to be able too via email. I hope that is not the case.

In any event I will be glad to help organize. Let me know what I need to do when the time comes.

Any possibility of doing the class in June? I have school kids through the end of May. Don and Company are top notch, would really like to visit there again.

I would love to attend one of your classes but a chronically bad back and severe ADD have prevented me from even considering attending. My back hurts just looking at scraping videos. Am I wrong?
Need to keep an eye out for a BIAX BL-10 and a rolling stool....:-)
Added to that, a spring balance can take all the weight of the Biax,
tool-spring-balancers-montage-cbw.jpg

It would take some engineering to have structure over head to hang it from. That could be an eye bolt screwed into a joist above your bench. But you can make a Biax hover. Little spring loaded blade, you can dance over the surface. Its almost like cheating, you have to lean on it to make it cut.

I'd think you would still have to do a day on a hand scraper. But Rich could accelerate that to half a day if you have issues. You need to get the feel and the fundamentals. A hand stick gives you that.

Only mention it, because you said your back complaint would prevent you from going to a class. BL-10 as Rich said, is only 2.7 kg's. (6 pounds). But even they get heavy after 8 hours. The BS-40 is 4.7 kg ( 10 1/2 Lbs). They get heavy quick.

You just need to make a hook where the hand strap mounts on the motor end. It takes a longer stud. Stock standard M6.

All I was suggesting, I wouldn't discount going to a class. With all the planning that goes into these, there would be work around's. No crime in that.

Regards Phil.

Attn: Mr Richard King.

I was just on the Biax Euro website. Checking up on weight of machines. And I quote:
Our regular scraper training events, where you can learn the art of scraping from experienced professionals, are surely unique in Europe.

If that's not enough to give you a semi mongrel. (Australian term for something approaching a hard on). :D

You can read it here, on the main Biax Schaber / Scraper page.

Scraper - BIAX

Regards Phil.

I can ask Don Shadduck and see if we can change the date to June. What do you people think? June 1 - 5TH or 8 TH - 12, 2018 Memorial weekend is May 28 or the weekend before June 1. Also if we can get enough folks fast, maybe we could do it September 2017? Rich

Back