What's new
What's new

Asking prices for longer straight edges?

lucky7

Titanium
What's happened to the market for six foot and longer cast iron straight edges? Several now on ebay for several thousand dollars. Optimistic sellers? Reality?

Lucky7

What's happened to the market for six foot and longer cast iron straight edges? Several now on ebay for several thousand dollars. Optimistic sellers? Reality?

Lucky7

For a few years they were cheaper than 3 and 4 footers. Less demand.

Mayhap they are just finally going scarce?

That sounds reasonable. For ref, I recently bought an ok condition (the porch paint will go) 60" Challenge for $195. Even with shipping from California it was a comfortable price. Thankfully, for my pocketbook and back, I don't need any longer SE's.

Lucky7

Come ON guys

There only a few simple things that determine the price of ANYTHING.

Where
When
And WILLING

If I have the piece that you need NOW, All you need to do is match my asking price. That sets the price.

Window shopping is NOTHING. Or maybe you have not been to the grocery store lately.
Did you get to haggle price when you last did?

eta

If you need a 60 inch SE with no history and no certs , and you need it bad, I've got one surplus to my needs.
If you need to talk price in public, you can't afford it! ;-))

No. He's talking about the current used prices on ebay.

Pair of 96" Parallel Straight Edges

Like this dreamer. $7k for 2 unmatched straight edges with no certifications and he won't ship them.

Ok- yes, for used and un certified I would say that is a bit much. On the second hand if you buy these new they are pretty $$$. I am grinding and certifying the straightedges for one of the big names out there now. All I can say is to get down to the tolerance you need there is a lot of time put into these.

Instagram

Back