What's new
What's new

Bringing a Biax BL10 back to life.

Peter.

Titanium
My friend Steve (member Stvy here) has a dead BL10 which I offered to take a look at. They have a Metabo motor fitted, it's actually the machine in this thread.

I suspected it had a shorted out field or rotor winding and this was later confirmed when I put some power into it.

Dropbox - biaxdead.mp4

I searched about and ended up finding a jig saw in brand new condition which I hoped would have the right parts. The model I got was a Metabo ST EP 565

step565_1.jpgstep565_2.jpg

I stripped the Biax down and pulled the rotor and field coil out of the jig saw. They are all identical physically so that was an encouraging sign.

fields.jpg

rotors.jpg

So in they went and time to check out if it was all successful

Dropbox - biaxlives.mp4

Success! It runs smooth as silk with no sign of any arcing. The only problem I have now is that I neglected to make a note of how the three wires from the speed control were connected. If anyone can help me with that I would be very grateful.

I have my BL-10 with me and am bringing it to the UK class in 3 weeks, but its 3 weeks away and 110V. One of these guys in the Stuttgart class has a 220 V model and tomorrow I can pull down the cover and snap a picture. Do you have "Whats UP app?" I do and it's sweet I can send an instant message to anyone in the world as long as I have their phone number. What voltage is it and you can write me..1-651-338-8141. Rich

PS: Biax is sending with me 2 new scrapers, 1 new 1/2 moon flaker and one older BL-40 (green) scraper all 220 V. I have 2 American versions, the BL-10 and BL-40 (7ELM)-110v models. Also I will bring some new blades and old ones. They have a nice tool box they are in and we can ship them back after the class. If we have room I may put in my HKA-18 Camel Back in the box tht we keep here in Germany for the classes if you think we will need it? Rich

Attachments

• 2014-02-27_10-30-37_360.jpg
    2014-02-27_10-30-37_360.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 257
Peter,
Nice repair job!
Have you converted the scraper to variable speed from single speed by doing this, or was the scraper variable speed originally?

I have a single speed BL 10 that would be very handy as variable.

Peter

It's a 220V model Rich. If you could snap a pic that would be great. I feel a bit daft that I didn't note the wire locations down, usually I'm good at taking notes when I disassemble stuff.

Peter,
Nice repair job!
Have you converted the scraper to variable speed from single speed by doing this, or was the scraper variable speed originally?

I have a single speed BL 10 that would be very handy as variable.

Peter

Hi Peter, it was already vari-speed. The motor died and the speed controller in the jigsaw is on a huge board. Can't get any clues from it for this 3-wire controller.

I fitted a variable speed control to my 7EL by pulling one from a £20 angle grinder. It's still working great since 2014.

Last edited:
Thanks to Richard for coming through with the pics I now know how to wire up the speed controller. Here they are in case someone else is as daft as me not to write it down or take a pic.

bl10speedcontrolwiring3.jpg bl10speedcontrolwiring2.jpg bl10speedcontrolwiring1.jpg

I suspect that there's probably a wide range of Metabo tools that could be donors for the Biax motor internals. We already know that the STEP 564 motor is a direct fit and this one would have been also except for the top handle.

Back