Clausing 5914 - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clausing 5914

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This web site is good for most things, but when it comes to Clausing lathes, there's a guy over in the Yahoo Clausing group who's been rebuilding these for years and really knows the variations and how to deal with them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was not able to find the clausing lathe group until just now. I had to go to yahoo groups and do a search there. I joined and posted my questions there.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see Webb has already responded. He's the main Clausing resource for the group and a real angel to those with problems. Follow his advice and get the manual specific to your lathe. They changed the design of certain parts over time, and you have to go by the serial number of the lathe. If you need a new bronze bushing, machining that to size will be a challenge unless you have a second lathe to do the job. Someone used a large drill hooked to an expanding plug in the spindle of his lathe to drive his lathe while he machined the pulleys for the lathe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RLamparter View Post
    I see Webb has already responded. He's the main Clausing resource for the group and a real angel to those with problems. Follow his advice and get the manual specific to your lathe. They changed the design of certain parts over time, and you have to go by the serial number of the lathe. If you need a new bronze bushing, machining that to size will be a challenge unless you have a second lathe to do the job. Someone used a large drill hooked to an expanding plug in the spindle of his lathe to drive his lathe while he machined the pulleys for the lathe.
    Yeah I have only seen one other Clausing with the same VS drive as mine. I just wonder why it was changed over, Was it possibly poor in design or did they make changes that were related to cost or what? The bushing itself looks just fine, the pulley half moves back and forth on the shaft nice with no real play that would cause any concern. The part I need is the key that keeps that pulley half from spinning on the shaft. I never found any part of the key which clearly had been sheered off at some point.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just called Clausing and that key is no longer made so they are sending me the prints for it.

6. Likes Derek Smalls liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think Web makes that key - if it's the same as the ones that have the green epoxy coating. That was a common item to get bashed as the parts wore.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks like this pulley key is used on many of the Clausing lathes so maybe I can find one although making one will not be hard other than the case hardening specs that the part has.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pulley-key-422-024.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you know what really sucks, I found a price list for Clausing parts from 2005 and this key is $1.23.

10. Likes JohnEvans liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I may be asking for another scolding but I figured I would inquire about a possible modification. I have a ZF45 milling machine that I had purchased a 2hp Marathon Black max (vector rated) motor and a Danfoss VFD with plans swap onto the mill at some point. The motor is actually a bit heavy for the mill and I am not sure when I will get around to doing that swap anyhow. I was thinking about removing the Clausing VS pulleys and just using this Marathon and the VFD to control the speed. This motor is designed for 100% torque output down to 0 RPM so I would imagine it would be up to the task even when turning slow. I do like the clutch/brake unit on the Clausing so I would just simply remove the VS pulleys and standard V belt pulleys from the motor to the clutch/brake jack shaft. Any foreseen issues with this conversion? Any cons or possibly pros other than possibly a more reliable VS system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gmikehall View Post
    I may be asking for another scolding but I figured I would inquire about a possible modification. I have a ZF45 milling machine that I had purchased a 2hp Marathon Black max (vector rated) motor and a Danfoss VFD with plans swap onto the mill at some point. The motor is actually a bit heavy for the mill and I am not sure when I will get around to doing that swap anyhow. I was thinking about removing the Clausing VS pulleys and just using this Marathon and the VFD to control the speed. This motor is designed for 100% torque output down to 0 RPM so I would imagine it would be up to the task even when turning slow. I do like the clutch/brake unit on the Clausing so I would just simply remove the VS pulleys and standard V belt pulleys from the motor to the clutch/brake jack shaft. Any foreseen issues with this conversion? Any cons or possibly pros other than possibly a more reliable VS system?
    You may very well get another scolding but it won't be from me this time. I simply don't know enough about the details of what you propose to know if it's a great idea or if it sucks!

If I was you and seriously considering doing that, I'd start a new thread in the "Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD" section, and lay out my plan. Lots of guys there that are pretty expert on that stuff and could add some good insight.

My concern with that stuff is always low end torque. Even though the motor makes the same torque at low RPM, it's very little HP when slowed way down. Better to reduce speed by mechanical means and boost torque while maintaining HP. Maybe add a high/low pulley from the motor to the jack shaft???
    Really sucks when you go to push a big drill and the machine keeps stalling!